"Useful" words - - -

Old 08-25-2015, 06:17 AM

Hey I liked all of the above! LOL
Old 08-25-2015, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by FiveseveN View Post
Always thought that one was a bit backhanded lol
It's meant to be, in modern times. It truly used to be a blessing for a sweet heated person.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:00 AM

My son-in-law always replies- Yes I see what you mean. LOL He is blind!
Old 08-25-2015, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
Apparently I don't need to say much at all.....according to my loved ones, the raised eyebrow is generally enough.
Here, too!
Old 08-25-2015, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
Apparently I don't need to say much at all.....according to my loved ones, the raised eyebrow is generally enough.
My nose wrinkle also seems to be effective!
Old 08-25-2015, 11:35 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
If it's gossip - especially mean gossip - "Really? Who told you that?" Often, when I ask for a source, the conversation dies. "Really? Let's go ask him/her about that." also kills the conversation.

When I worked, it seemed that I had a reputation for not spreading rumors, gossiping. I was amazed at how many people would come to talk to me and preface their conversation with, "I know that you won't tell anyone what i tell you..." and then spill their guts about something personal that was bothering them. Most of them didn't want advice, just a trusted, non-judgmental ear.

Lucky for me and them, I never heard anything criminal from any one of them.
__________________________________________________ _______________________

I am an inlaw to a family of gossipers who love to spread it; but cannot understand why one gets upset when the person they are spreading it about finds out. SO I don't tell my mil anything I don't want spread (just found all this out recently when a sister in law was over and from his so called Godmother -mil's cousin <and she put it in writing so I have ammo!!LOL> Knew I had been gossiped about for years, but could never prove it... but now I have it in writing !LOL)...

Oh well I guess if one is gossiping about me .. they will leave others alone. LOL

Last edited by Caswews; 08-25-2015 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:58 PM

It's usually pretty useless to ask kids an open-ended question like "How was your day?" or "How was school?" I always hated that when I was a kid.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:11 PM

I always have an opinion, but at work I only expressed the ones about the work. When my youngest was 12, she summed it up very well. She was on the track team and throwing discus and shot put. A girl who also was doing those events was generally not liked. My daughters' friends asked her how she could stand being with the other girl every day for 2 hours.

I was proud of my daughters answer. "Well", she said, "If you have to be with someone every day, it's much easier to do if you like them."

She and the girl became friends, not close, but friends. They keep in touch over FB, even now, 20 years later.

I liked the girl, too. She was "rough around the edges", as they say, but basically a good kid. Years later my daughter told me that the girl had lots of problems at home and had a very hard time with school. I like to think my daughter's friendship was very helpful to her at the time.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:13 PM

I'll bet you never knew you led such an interesting life!
Old 08-25-2015, 07:14 PM

My kids say something similar - they always knew to get the heck out of Dodge when I got "The look of death" on my face!