Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! I melted my embroidery >

Help! I melted my embroidery

Help! I melted my embroidery

Old 09-03-2015, 07:07 AM

I do embroidery on quilts and I would never send out anything that I embroidered that was puckered and wrinkly. Sounds like the embroidery was poorly done. There are ways to prepare the fabric before embroidering and the proper stabilizer must be used to avoid wrinkles and puckers.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:16 AM
Power Poster

A stabilizer may have been used but I bet it was the cheapest one available. For a quilt that will be laundered from time to time I would insist on cotton thread. It may not be as shinny but it is better. If I paid a premium for the work I would insist it be redone using the right supplies. If I paid the lowest fee around then I got what I paid for.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by rjwilder View Post
I do embroidery on quilts and I would never send out anything that I embroidered that was puckered and wrinkly. Sounds like the embroidery was poorly done. There are ways to prepare the fabric before embroidering and the proper stabilizer must be used to avoid wrinkles and puckers.
I agree. This was the 2nd time this guy did my embroidery. The first time, he did it upside down even though I wrote right on the fabric "TOP" with an arrow pointing up. Then, he angrily tried to put the blame on me when I asked that it be redone & told me that if I wanted a different embroiderer there were others to choose from. Wow! No wonder his shop is struggling so much.

I found a different embroiderer now & am really amazed at the difference. She takes time to understand the order & writes down every little detail after asking a whole bunch of questions about how I want it to turn out. I'm not sure about what stabilizer she uses. I'll have to ask. But I know that the stabilizer the other guy used was indeed a lousy stabilizer choice. He uses the exact same super thick stabilizer regardless of what he's embroidering & charges the same or more as this other lady (they have different pricing structures) ... and then to be rude to me on top of everything else!

When I've done my own little bit of embroidery work, I used rayon thread with a tear-away stabilizer. I'm really not sure why that couldn't have been done in this case. The embroidery ended up pulling the fabric into it a lot, shortening my fabric by almost 3/4". I delivered it to him pressed & starched the same way I would have if I were satin stitching the fabric. I think the guy just didn't know what he was doing and then he was rude to boot! At least I found someone now who has a good reputation & seems to care much more about understanding what I want for my embroidery.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:08 AM

Weezie is right. Also use a pressing cloth. I buy 100 percent cotton men's hankerchiefs to use as pressing cloths for my embroidery.Easy to throw in the laundry when they get scorched or soiled.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:08 AM

I always use polyester thread to embroider - and always caution people not to use a hot iron on it.Upside down on a towel is the method I use also. I do not use any rayon thread because it is not as colorfast as polyester. Especially for something for a child, which will get washed a lot. I think the rude guy doesn't know what he is doing.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:29 PM

Hi Bree,

I really feel for you.... But here are a few suggestions..... rayon is made from treated natural fibres so it doesn't melt quite so easily.....so are you sure that he didn't use polyester? That said, ironing on the reverse on a towel as recommended by our posters in definately the best way.... Secondly, you need the fabric that you send to be larger than the frame the embroiderer needs to put it in. As Nessie said.... Embroidery should not be wrinkled.... Good stabilising and a tight frame should ensure that wrinkles do not occur......

Finally, I wished I lived closer as I would do the embroidery for you......!!!!

hugs

Caroline
Old 09-04-2015, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

The machine embroiderers in my guild use a special pad to press the embroidery. I don't know what it is but they are all red in color. LOL And when we have show and tell of their work, it is so easy to see the difference in quality. The ones that use the best supplies outshines the others who use cheap. I always feel behind the embroidery. If it is stiff I won't even think of buying it. I've bought too many soft embroidery to know it can be done.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

I always press on the wrong side no matter what with the exception of sleeves then turn down the heat. I rarely have to do that. I bought a top from Walmart that has embroidery with polyester and it was like little needles. I sewed a cotton backing with red cotton thread (same color as top) on it and clipped the excess away. DH thought I was crazy but you can't see it and much more comfortable.
Guys attitude and work first time would've kept me from going back. Glad you found some one else.