Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Elmers Glue and FMQ Question >

Elmers Glue and FMQ Question

Elmers Glue and FMQ Question

Old 09-03-2015, 02:45 PM

As SherylM said, some people use a fine tip for putting a fine line or a series of drops of glue for applique, etc. There's been threads on where to find them, I don't have one because I use washable glue for basting only. Love using it.

Tate
Old 09-03-2015, 05:17 PM

I would never use glue for basting. I may use a glue stick lightly for applique', but not for overall basting. I have seen the glue 'painting' method, but would not consider that either. Each to their own preferred method as to what works best for them.....I find the spray basing best for me.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:43 PM

Back to the original question....

Originally Posted by Alice PD View Post
I am experimenting with using glue instead of pins during the piecing process of my quilt.
I occasionally use glue instead of pins. I hope you're using washable Elmer's, not the regular Elmer's. Believe me, there is a difference.

After I get the seam sewn to my satisfaction, I'll separate the seams with an awl. Sometimes I need to give it a dab of water to soften the glue. I use a teensy tiny dot of glue, smaller than the head of my applique pins, and have never had issues with the quilting process.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:19 AM

I've been in quilting classes where we were told to use fabric glue sticks for the project and it really was easier and faster. I haven't ever used Elmer's. Just to be on the safe side, I'd double check and make sure it won't gum it your machine first.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:29 AM

I've never had any problems with my machine, rhythm, or anything else with glue basting. I've never used it to put pieces together. I wouldn't use anything else to sandwich a quilt. It's so easy and works great.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:58 AM

This sounds intriguing, but wouldn't the quilt have to be washed after completion?
Old 09-04-2015, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

I always wash my quilts after they are done and the glue has always washes out just fine.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:49 AM

Remember to only use enough glue to hold the item still (regardless of making a sandwich or applique), not to hold it for life. If you encounter blobs ( after dried, it's a different situation ), smooth with a finger, only use as much as necessary and then use a little less. Always wash quilt when finished.

If sandwiching quilt, drizzle on batting, then smooth on fabric, press to help dry faster.
On applique, just use a tiny dot in strategic locations, entire applique does not have to be glued, only enough so it won't slide around while trying to sew, either by hand or machine.

Purchasing specific glue or glue sticks may only be a advertising issue, the Elmer's Washable School Glue, is pretty close to the cheapest. Get it in the Fall when school supplies go on sale or buy it by the gallon (it will last forever so the price is worth it). Water it down, spray it on, dot it, drizzle it, whatever works for you, just do it!! LOL
Old 09-04-2015, 07:11 AM

I have used the glue sticks in place of pinning and for applique and it works great. I have never tried in place of basting with spray glue but plan to try. I have read about using half glue and half water and spraying it on. Has anyone used that method? If so I would be interested in hearing about the results they had with that method as well.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:24 AM

I use straight Elmer's glue for sandwiching my quilts. But for applique &/or basting quilt blocks together I use the glue stick. Mainly because I don't have to wait for it to dry.