Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Food For Thought For Quilters on This Board >

Food For Thought For Quilters on This Board

Food For Thought For Quilters on This Board

Old 09-05-2015, 11:53 AM

I agree. I am hesitant to comment unless I can truly feel comfortable about what I am posting.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:05 PM

That's a very lovely thought!
Old 09-05-2015, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by twinkie View Post
I was just looking at the list of pictures that have been posted on the board, going to them and posting comments. Everyone of us, even the more experienced quilters, but mainly the beginners, would love comments about the pictures of our quilt projects. I have noticed on several of the pictures posted, there are around 2,000 views (or more) of the thread but only 20 or less comments posted. I would like to suggest that we take a couple of minutes to make a quick comment on these threads to offer encouragement to each other. Each comment only has to be 10 characters and could result in a "pat on the back" or a "way to go" to someone who really needed it. Just a thought from my heart that I think could make a big difference. GOD Bless
I try to reply to all that I can. I wrote and re-wrote 3 paragraphs to a poster last week and I kept being told my message was not long enough. It had to be at least 10 characters. I gave up. Also, I am now having to "sign in" and fill in my password again each time I get to a new site and go back. I've had no trouble doing this until about 3 months ago. I keep telling them to keep me signed in - to no avail. After a while, I gave up on that, too.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:50 PM

Okay, if I see a quilt I find truly stunning, I am always commenting. There are some that just aren't my taste (but that's a minority, and I'm sure they will be appreciated by someone else as taste is such a individual thing). I'm too honest to just pretend I'd like them.

However, there is the vast majority of quilts that are nicely done and generally pleasant and would merit a comment. I'd rather write something a bit more personal than "nice work" or such, and that does take more time than I usually have. Partly, I guess it's also my personality - I am in general not overly generous with compliments, but I want to better and will try to post more feedback!
Old 09-05-2015, 03:00 PM

I'm guilty of just enjoying the beautiful pictures and wonderful work. Yes, I should do better and will try. If I can encourage someone then that is what the quilt board should do. You all have helped me a lot on my quilting journey. A great big thanks for that.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by matraina View Post
I try to reply to all that I can. I wrote and re-wrote 3 paragraphs to a poster last week and I kept being told my message was not long enough. It had to be at least 10 characters. I gave up. Also, I am now having to "sign in" and fill in my password again each time I get to a new site and go back. I've had no trouble doing this until about 3 months ago. I keep telling them to keep me signed in - to no avail. After a while, I gave up on that, too.
I have done that several times. Like I told the other poster, you are probably typing in the body of the quoted post. You have to make sure you are below the [/Quote] at the end of their quote. We don't get much room here to type our "quick reply". and therein lies the problem.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:03 AM

I think that is a good suggestion. I will do more commenting. Thanks
Old 09-06-2015, 05:34 AM

Excellent idea! We all like being acknowledged on our projects - color choices - pattern questions etc. I'm not around here very often, but when I am, I read what others are saying, have said, or suggestions provided. Some day I'll have more time to post pictures of my quilting projects!
Old 09-06-2015, 06:31 AM

This is the second post this year that deals with the issue of "comments" re: quilt pix. I am currently working on a quilt that incorporates several treatments that I've never done before. If it turns out as I hope it will, I had planned to post some pictures of it here. Now I'm re-thinking that; I certainly don't want anyone to be 'guilted' into making pleasant comments about anything I choose to show here.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:50 AM

As my previous post in response to bear-is-gray's post I ask questions when I need help. My hope is that folks will be honest and tell me where I messed up or, absolutely the best, tell me what I need to do. There are some gorgeous quilts shown on this board by some fantastic quilters. To say all are wonderful even when there is an obvious mistake? If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all is really kinder. I've made some quilts that were just plain ugly. I'd rather have the truth than be "snowed."