Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needle-Turn aplique question >

Needle-Turn aplique question

Needle-Turn aplique question

Old 09-05-2015, 10:16 AM

I use Milliner needles size 11 John James or Bohin. I only use silk thread. I also have a magnifying pair of glasses with a light on them which I use when doing applique. The glasses were only about $15.00 but are worth their weight in gold.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:27 AM
QM
Power Poster

I use John James embroidery needles because they are very sharp and smooth and I can thread them. I also use thread haven to treat my thread. BTW, in our local quilt show I have taken best hand needlework 2 years in a row.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:35 PM
Power Poster

Roxanne applique needles and John James Milners are my favorites, size 10-11 usually. I also use silk thread for hand applique ( and most of my hand sewing)
See if I can explain this so it makes sense without pictures-- to keep your silk thread from sliding out of the eye of the needle while stitching-- thread needle, pull thread through about 2"-3", hold long end against back of needle, take end that you threaded through, and thread it back through creating a loop, tip the needle through the loop and pull the two thread ends tight. Both ends of the thread will be on the same side of the eye- locked in place, one a couple inches long the other as long as you cut your thread. The thread is ( locked) around the needle- will not slide out. ( when ready to change / rethread needle just slide your nail down the eye, shaft of needle to open the loop again) this works with any thread - I was taught to thread my needles like this year's ago by an elderly lady who hand quilted.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
Roxanne applique needles and John James Milners are my favorites, size 10-11 usually. I also use silk thread for hand applique ( and most of my hand sewing)
See if I can explain this so it makes sense without pictures-- to keep your silk thread from sliding out of the eye of the needle while stitching-- thread needle, pull thread through about 2"-3", hold long end against back of needle, take end that you threaded through, and thread it back through creating a loop, tip the needle through the loop and pull the two thread ends tight. Both ends of the thread will be on the same side of the eye- locked in place, one a couple inches long the other as long as you cut your thread. The thread is ( locked) around the needle- will not slide out. ( when ready to change / rethread needle just slide your nail down the eye, shaft of needle to open the loop again) this works with any thread - I was taught to thread my needles like this year's ago by an elderly lady who hand quilted.
How interesting. Thanks ckcowl!
Old 09-05-2015, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by sewingitalltogether View Post
I like the size 11 straw from Jeanna Kimball. But I have friends who used between and sharps. It's a finger thing. Whatever you are comfortable with.
this is exactly what I use. A friend turned me onto these needles about 15 years ago and I've stuck with them. As my eyes age, I find I need to use a needle threader with this needle unless I am in the bright sun.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:57 PM

I secure my thread in the needle using a technique I found in an embroidery book. After threading the needle, you stick the needle through the short thread end, attempting to divide the thread evenly (you have to pull the thread tightly around your thumb to accomplish this), then pull it tight. This works well for applique, but when stitching down binding, I usually have to re-do each thread length a couple of times because the harder pulling I do when stitching binding causes it to come undone. ckcowl, I'll have to give your method a try.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

I have two friend who applique and they both use silk thread. Needles need to be a personal choice of size and thickness.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I learned that method on this board and am thrilled with it! I use Invisafil thread and this trick is a must!
Old 09-07-2015, 04:33 AM

I am 'frugal' and when I decided I wanted to to Margaret Docherty's "Little Brown Bird" quilt, I had no applique supplies, but I do have an entire set of ThreaDelight polyester machine embroidery thread (260 cones). It's very sturdy and comes in nearly all the colors I need, so that's what I use, with hand-quilting needles (betweens); I have no problems with either. My stitches are tiny, uniform, and virtually invisible. I press my blocks (face down in on a terry towel ... not me, the blocks) and it's all good.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:22 AM

My favorite are Tulip Needles I get from Karen Kay Buckley's website. They maybe available else where. And I use silk thread. It just melts into the fabric.

Last edited by Retired Quilter; 09-07-2015 at 05:25 AM.