Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
You ladies inspired me with your clean sewing rooms. >

You ladies inspired me with your clean sewing rooms.

You ladies inspired me with your clean sewing rooms.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:39 PM
Power Poster

Hello and welcome from SW Iowa. I don't have an answer for the pattern for your moms memory quilt. I am sorry for your loss.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:44 PM

Welcome from central Illinois!

We lost my dear father-in-law recently. When my MIL is ready to clean the closets, I am hoping she will allow me to take the flannel shirts to do some lap quilts for the grandkids. I plan to use simple blocks to allow the plaid fabrics to work together, and I hope to incorporate a shirt pocket on every quilt (because this was close to Grandpa's heart, as was his family). I'm also hoping to applique a few leaves on each quilt, using as patterns some leaves I gathered and traced last fall from their wooded property. The house will be sold this summer and my MIL will move into an apartment. We are all going to miss this house very much...lots of good memories. The kids loved to play in the woods.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:39 AM
Power Poster

Sorry you lost your mom and miss her so much. Do you like Sunbonnet Sue? That would be a good way to showcase the dresses.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:47 AM

Hi Shanna, Welcome from Alaska! It will bring up a lot of memories
making a quilt out of moms clothes but what a great project for you to talk about her and remember her, sharing stories with friends and family. Then when it's all done you'll have a part of your precious mom to snuggle with. Great idea! :thumbup:
Old 01-16-2010, 08:07 AM
Banned

hello and welcome
:-D
Old 01-16-2010, 09:34 AM

I love that idea teacup!
Old 01-16-2010, 03:29 PM

I made a crazy quilt from some of mom's things. With this type quilt you can mix and match and use almost anything. Makes me think of her when I look at it.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:51 PM

Shanna,
Sorry, for your loss. The quilt could be good therapy. I notice you are new to quilting. With the different types of fabric---different weights and weaves I would suggest a simple block such as a nine patch and then set the blocks on point with alternating blocks made of a blender fabric or a solid fabric. That is if you like traditional quilts. Besure to document your quilt with a label. For a label You could use the treated fabric and print a story of the quilt plus a picture of your mother and also yourself. It would also be very nice for your children if you keep a journal of memories of the past and present while working on the quilt. Just my two cents....hope it helps.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:28 AM

Shanna and all, I also asked a question similar to this a short time ago (Clothes to Quilts). I lost my mom after an 8 year battle with ovarian cancer about 1 1/2 years ago. Even though I am 52 and have children of my own, I still miss her everyday. I found a bunch of dresses and shirts that she made for herself and my dad when we lived in Hawaii. I have been cutting them up to make a Yellow Brick Road style quilt. I chose this pattern because the Hawaiian print fabric has large patterns and designs on it. I plan on making a quilt for both of my sisters and myself from these clothes. As I have been cutting up each of the dresses, I have been remembering when she made them. It's been a lot of memories and I have shed my share of tears throughout the process. But I look forward to giving the quilts to my sisters when I am done.

I became closer to my mom after my dad died thirty years ago. I'm sure with time, the pain will be less, but for now I comfort myself with my DH, my kids, my sisters, and my quilting sisters on the internet.

Take care...

Cathy
Old 01-17-2010, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

Hello and Welcome :D:D:D