Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Who Do You Think You Are.... >

Who Do You Think You Are....

Who Do You Think You Are....

Old 09-15-2015, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

Yes, you will ALWAYS see a quilt that looks nicer than yours. I took 2nd place in a major quilt show and when I saw who won 1st place, I didn't have any regrets. She deserved first place but did they have to show the quilt every day in the opening sequence of Simply Quilts?
Old 09-15-2015, 06:35 AM

I was at my local Fall Fair on Sunday. One of the reasons I go each year is to look at the quilts and other handwork.

I love to see a variety of techniques, patterns, skill levels and colour palettes. Reading the tags to learn about the inspiration, source, and techniques is part of the fun and I am disappointed when that information is not available.

Are all the quilts to my taste, no, but I can appreciate each and every one
Old 09-15-2015, 09:44 AM

No, I feel all my quilts are as beautiful as they are going to get, I love some more than others, but I am proud if I finished them
Old 09-15-2015, 10:36 AM

Be proud of yourself for entering a quilt show! We are each so different and so are our quilts ... that is what makes life so interesting. Don't be so hard on yourself, be proud!
Old 09-15-2015, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

I have had a few blah quilts hanging next to wonderful creations. My thought was Oh well, maybe someone will see my quilt and think Hey my quilt looks like that, I can enter my quilt if she can. LOL I don't get intimidated by beautiful quilts, I feel motivated.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:46 PM

Different strokes for different folks. If we all did the same type of quilting, how boring it would be. I enjoy looking at everyone's work of art, but does not lessen the pride I feel when I finish a quilt.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by mobridge mom View Post
have you ever entered a quilt or quilts in a show and when you saw them hanging beside all the other beautiful quilts thought...who do you think you are... Having your colorless, blah creations mixed in with these beautiful quilts? That's kind of how i feel after a show this weekend.
i hear you. I am not a lot of pieces quilter. I do a lot of slice and dice or strippy quilts. I kind of dress them up with applique. I do get a lot of compliments so i guess they arent so bad. But we are our worst critics to ourselves. But i still look at some of the intricickly designed ones and cringe. But on the possitive side, we are an encouragement to others who feel like we do. I keep on quilting and enjoy it.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:50 PM

I have never entered a show, but I really enjoy looking at ALL the quilts- some are very different from my tastes, pattern choices and/or color pallette-I appreciate the different approaches. Some are way beyond my abilities, they are inspiring-but each one inspires me in some way-even if it's "That color combination doesn't work as well as I thought it would". Thanks to all with the courage to enter! Maybe some day....
Old 09-16-2015, 03:46 AM

Too much odious comparison is not good if you want to improve and make better quilts. Let's face it, we all generally improve with practice. If you genuinely think the other quilts are of better quality, learn from the information that they or their makers may give to you. You guys are in a wonderful position that you can practice and have disasters at a relatively cheap price. It generally breaks the bank in other countries. Go ahead and make more and have fun with it. All the best.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:02 AM

First of all, you deserve a pat on the back for taking the time and having the courage to enter a quilt show. So who do you think you are? I think you are a quilter who was generous to share your work and love of quilting with others.