Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for Die Cutter Users >

Question for Die Cutter Users

Question for Die Cutter Users

Old 09-16-2015, 12:35 AM

I love the GO and yes, I feel it is well worth the cost.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:42 AM

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new Studio 2 coming tomorrow. The dies are coming on Friday. So I'm looking forward to a fun weekend of playing with my "mid life crisis" toy. Ha.
SVAL
Old 09-16-2015, 04:08 AM
Power Poster

I use my Go for 99% of my quilt block cutting. When the rotary cutter was first introduced many quilters thought it was unnecessary and a waste of money because blades had to be replaced. If you keep the machine put up and not use it or only have a couple of dies then it probably won't be worth the cost.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:17 AM

I use my Fiskar Fuse all the time, with Accuquilt Go! dies, and Sizzix dies. Sizzix dies are cheaper than Accuquilt dies, and I like their layout a little better.

I strip cut with my June Taylor thingy, although if I had the Accuquilt strip dies I'd use those instead. I use the Fuse for geometric shapes. I don't do applique shapes.

I think the dies make the piecing go ever so much faster. And the cutting a million times faster. I can die cut all the triangles and hexes for I Spy quilts in a few hours, versus the couple of weeks it took me to rotary cut them with a template.

The rotary cut ones were not consistent, and I spent waaay too much time aligning them when piecing, double checking that they were right, which they often weren't, and having to re-sew them a few times (each).

I can't say enough good about die cutting!
Old 09-16-2015, 12:03 PM

I love my Studio. I love cutting strips with it and I did cut a large quantity of tumblers to do Bonnie Hunter's leader and ender tumbler challenge.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:44 PM
Banned

Absolutely. I have the Accuquilt Studio. If I knew then what I know now, I would have simply bought all the strip dies and all the half square triangle dies and called it good. You can pretty much cut everything with those. I have a lot of repeat dies I don't need. Worth it? Absolutely. It takes forever to cut quilts by hand. It is done super fast with the die cutter.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:19 PM

No one has mentioned it because it is more specialty, but I have a Silhouette Cameo. It isn't as much for the strips and squares as it is for appliqué shapes, but it is computer controlled and you can cut any shape and any size (up to 12" x 24") as long as you have attached the fabric to some sort of interfacing to give it enough thickness for the blade to cut through. (NO DIES. You download shapes or design them yourself using the software that is included.) I have it because of paper crafting, but I have used it for making identical shapes for things like doll-eyes and appliqués for quilts (found an adorable baby-pin quilt and did NOT want to cut those out by hand...). I am planning some quilted wall art to look like my dogs, and I plan to use the machine to cut the shapes for the appliqués out with that. Would it be worth it to buy the machine for most quilters? It's $250, so no. But I have been using it for almost two years for paper crafting continually and have gotten more than my money out of it. The appliqué is just a new use I have found for it.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:33 AM

I hate pulling mine out to use, but I am ashamed to say that I still can't cut a straight line to save my life. If I am cutting anything over just a few inches, I use the Accuquilt because it's much more accurate than I am. So, it was a good investment through the years saving me from wasting fabric.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by cjtinkle View Post
Absolutely. I have the Accuquilt Studio. If I knew then what I know now, I would have simply bought all the strip dies and all the half square triangle dies and called it good. You can pretty much cut everything with those. I have a lot of repeat dies I don't need. Worth it? Absolutely. It takes forever to cut quilts by hand. It is done super fast with the die cutter.
Good to know. I'm awaiting mine to come today. So I'll take your advice and start getting strip dies. I am waiting for a sale to get the 2.5 one for all the bindings.
I purchased the Churn Dash 9" and EB's block that was on sale at the time with the adapter plate. So I'm ready for any die, Studio or Go. Hope that's right.
SVAL
Old 09-17-2015, 03:17 AM

I am in Australia and I bought a Go Cutter and a starter pack of both strip and applique dies as soon as I found it was available here. I typed medical reports all day and then did a lot of cutting of scraps at night and I could tell my elbows were not going to put up with that for much longer. I demoed it at my local sewing group and a few of them went in together to purchase a Go and a lot of dies. I can use any of their dies in exchange for their members using mine (at the group) and this has worked well. I don't get asked to borrow my dies very often.