Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing machines >

sewing machines

sewing machines

Old 09-16-2015, 05:42 PM

I have one of the Walmart Brother machines that cost around $80 and I love it. With the exception of a lot of fancy stitches, it does everything I need it to do plus.

But, before I bought any machines I would follow KalamaQuilts advise. And, while I was at it I would let the congregation know that you would appreciate donations of any quilting tools like fabric, scissors, rotary cutters
and etc.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:17 PM

At our county library, you can borrow sewing machines. We have a "Library of Things" and sewing machines are just one thing you can check out. They have tried to spread the word, but it is still not well known. Maybe your area has such a thing? Worth checking with them.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:40 PM

I agree with Betty62 , there might be some that will donate fabric's, that has been sitting in their houses for some time. ask for old shirts 100% cotton you might get a truck load . DottieBug
Old 09-16-2015, 06:48 PM

We have a BabyLock dealer that sells the BL9 for $99, too if you purchase several(4) maybe inquire about a discount. Never hurts to ask.
I agree working with alike machines would make things easier for you and the students. JMHO.
I think Hancock's sometime around Thanksgiving-Christmas puts Janome Machines on sale.
Too, I purchased my Singer 15-91 for $80, I have noticed the asking prices are rising.
Good luck in your endeavors, let us know what you decide and how it all shakes out.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:07 AM

I just received an email from Brother and they are selling some of their refurbished machines for 69.00. Usually they have a warentee. You might google refurbished brother and see if it will help you.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:03 AM

If at all possible, try to find some older NON-computerized machines. These older machines are much more forgiving, of beginners.

I wholeheartedly agree with the posters who warn against borrowing machines. The very last thing you need, is to have someone else's machine broken!
Old 09-17-2015, 09:35 AM

We have a quilt ministry in our church. When the congregation learned this they asked if we wanted sewing machines they were not using. Of course, we said yes. After using these machines, all of the members ended up buying their own machines. Some from Goodwill and WalMart, and others from dealers selling used machines. The older machines taught them to appreciate sewing. As a side benefit from the congregation learning of our ministry and donating machines, we have been gifted with a huge amount of fabric. This helps keep our ministry active and I guess it helps those donating to give their treasures to a worth while cause.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by aborning View Post
I am starting a program at church in which I will have Seniors (in High School) make a "Trip around the World" quilt for themselves, with my help. My friend does this at her church. I am going to have to buy 3-4 sewing machines to have available for students to use, whose parent doesn't own a sewing machine to bring along to class. Has anyone bought the inexpensive (like $100) Janome Brother machines from Hancocks? These machines will not get used much so wondering if they would be good enough? I cannot afford to spend a lot of money.
I guess it is not feasible to purchased used machines (maybe from a sewing store where they will come with a warranty). Seems like you could save some money and still get good machines.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:15 PM

What you're doing is really great. You never know what kind of budding artist is in the group.
I would look on craigslist. I know that in my area I can find some machines in the $50-$100.range. Some are
the newer less expensive Singer and Brother machines and some are the older Singer and Kenmore machines from the
70's and 80's.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by aborning View Post
I am starting a program at church in which I will have Seniors (in High School) make a "Trip around the World" quilt for themselves, with my help. My friend does this at her church. I am going to have to buy 3-4 sewing machines to have available for students to use, whose parent doesn't own a sewing machine to bring along to class. Has anyone bought the inexpensive (like $100) Janome Brother machines from Hancocks? These machines will not get used much so wondering if they would be good enough? I cannot afford to spend a lot of money.
I just went to a Church Consignment Shop a few 3-4 years ago now, and bought a 1930-1940's model White Sewing in a real nice Cabinet for $20.00 sews like a charm. What a deal.