Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New iron >

New iron

New iron

Old 09-19-2015, 04:44 AM

My mom has the Oslio iron, her only complaint (because she loves it so) is that she forgets that her travel iron doesn't self raise too!
Old 09-19-2015, 05:12 AM

Not a Rowenta fan UNLESS it is one made in Germany. I had one made in Germany that was the best iron ever and lasted about 15 years. Replaced it with an expensive Rowenta (made in China)and after 7 months the water tank began leaking and then must have cracked because all of th water in my tank poured out onto the floor. While I was using it. And, yes, I was using the correct water and letting it warm up properly. Called the company and was told since I had purchased one of their "Professional" irons the warranty was only good for 6 months. So, check the country it was made in and also check the warrenty also. I am now a fan of buying less expensive irons and replacing them when they die. For the past two years I have been using a Shark and love it!
Old 09-19-2015, 05:18 AM

thanks for all the advice, it kind of just makes it harder.. lol but the top are 2 are Oliso and Rowenta.. keep the info coming please..
Old 09-19-2015, 05:37 AM

To inspector#12: I used a Maytag cordless, too, for 10 years. The nonstick coating slowly came off the ironing surface. I finally had to toss it as the iron had to be set almost vertical to charge and the connection for recharging showed melting around the plastic. I'm looking at the Panasonic cordless now while using a Rowenta before buying. What is the problem with starch? Do you let it soak into the fabric before ironing?
Old 09-19-2015, 06:18 AM

I have a Rowenta iron that is at least 15 years old, never had a problem except it is heavy. Purchases a Rowenta steamer that I love for iron shirt, blouses and putting creases in pants. But, if I'm piecing quilts, I use a oliso's as you don't set it up, you just let go and it pops up, makes pressing real fast. I have never had any problem with any iron except a Black and Decker that I used for fusing, it keep turning itself off and I hated that. Now I use a press for fusing and it works much better.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:24 AM

I love Rowenta irons when they work. Unfortunately, they all end up spitting and leaking water. I have had 4. My current iron is an inexpensive Hamilton Beach and I like it. I looked for an iron that had a lot of steam holes on the plate and had some weight to it (those are the things I really liked about the Rowenta). So far, it has worked great and will be much less expensive to replace if it does start spitting or leaking.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:28 AM

Me too. I've had my Shark for about 4-5 years, and love it. I bought a Rowenta because they were supposed to be so good. Had leakage from the beginning. Used Proctor Silex for years and they started leaking. Decided to try the Shark, and have not had any problems.

Good Luck with your choice.
Susan
Old 09-19-2015, 08:40 AM

I currently have one I adore. No leaking, it's not heavy (I have weak wrists), retractable cord, sharp point, wide faceplate. $31 on Amazon. Gets quite hot but has auto shut-off too. Lots of great reviews. http://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-Steam-...s=sunbeam+iron
Old 09-19-2015, 09:12 AM

I use to have a Sunbeam, 14 years until it started spitting sparks! It used distilled water, not a problem, and I loved it. But I bought a Rowenta to replace it, and I'm not a fan, of this model at least. It says NO to using distilled water, no problem, but it still spits all the time, it's kind of heavy, but the thing that really irks me is that it's constantly out of water. Goes through lots of water to make lots of steam. And to top it off, the water reservoir is purple plastic and it's just dark enough that I have trouble seeing through it to the water level. Wish I had bought another Sunbeam!
Old 09-19-2015, 09:12 AM

Owned 2 Rowentas and they didn't last long so I bought a cheaper Black and Decker (heavy) 7 or 8 years ago and it's been good but it won't steam or heat up like it did anymore so I'm going to be looking too. I never gave it a thought, but I read someplace we should check the wattages because they are not all the same and this affects the temperature. I'll be looking and comparing since I want a hot one.