Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you feel your accuquilt dies through at an angle or straight on??  Need help >

Do you feel your accuquilt dies through at an angle or straight on?? Need help

Do you feel your accuquilt dies through at an angle or straight on?? Need help

Old 09-24-2015, 03:04 PM

Default Do you feel your accuquilt dies through at an angle or straight on?? Need help

I've seen in several videos that you should feed your accuquilt dies through your cutter (I have the GO) at a slight angle. When I have done that, the fabric seems to bind up under the cutting mat and I get tiny jagged edges to my strips so it just doesn't seem right. I've noticed in the GO Electric videos that it appears the dies are feed straight through.

I have dies that were purchased during the past 2 years and the shapes are positioned on the die boards at a slight angle. I noticed in videos that the older dies had the shapes parallel to the edge. So, I'm wondering if the rule to run the boards through at an angle is really only relevant to the old dies that had the strips/shapes parallel to the edge? Or, should I be angling my board so that the strip runs parallel through the cutter? I'm just not getting the results I think I should so it feels like I am doing something wrong.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:27 PM

I always feed it straight in and have no problems. I have noticed on my strip die it has different lines but that is for the fabric if you want to cut diamonds or squares out of the strips.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:33 PM
Power Poster

If the die is positioned on the die block on an angle, then you can feed it in straight. If the die is square to the die block and you won't hit the sides of the unit then feeding it in at a slight angle will make things easier. Why are you not happy with your results?
Old 09-24-2015, 07:09 PM

I have a Studio . . .but yes, for dies like the rag die, if I aim it into the rollers corner first, it goes in much easier and enables me to cut up to six layers of flannel in one pass. If I aim it in straight, it cuts four perfectly, five with a few strings attached.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:11 PM

I have experienced the cut not being accurate by putting it through straight. Especially the 5" square.

To know if you have a problem, cut some fabric both ways, and measure them. I was off 1/8 of an inch, (shorter on one side), which, sewn many times over in a quilt will make a huge difference. I called Accuquilt, and they told me to always put the dies through on an angle. Sometimes, that's hard to do, when you have a lot of fabric trailing behind.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:36 PM

So if you put the die in at an angle, do you slant it towards the angle that the die shapes are on the board or against the angle. This is hard to put into words. I have the log cabin die and the shapes are placed in an angle on the board.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
So if you put the die in at an angle, do you slant it towards the angle that the die shapes are on the board or against the angle. This is hard to put into words. I have the log cabin die and the shapes are placed in an angle on the board.
I would call their 800 number and ask. It's a reasonable question.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:14 AM

I feed mine in at a slight angle because it seems like they are easier to cut.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:48 AM

l have the Go Baby, and have used applecore, hexies, and applique shapes...always fed through straight, and always perfect. lt never even occured to me to go in at an angle. l would think that rather difficult to keep the fabric on straight of grain on the die if attempting it. Perhaps the larger machines are different.