Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-17-2015, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
What are the chances that someone intentionally added a “spacer” in the needle clamp to use a different needle? A dab of grease on that piece would probably hold it up in the needle clamp to change needles....

CD in Oklahoma
I did think about that, and just for the heck of it, I tried a standard needle. It did sew, but that diminishes the capabilities of the machine. I asked a friend that has worked on them and he agreed that someone may have made that modification, but agreed with me that it was kind of silly to do it. And you can't get as large of thread in a standard needle as you can with the proper needle in it. When I tested it and it sewed, I knew that there was something in there. The new needle clamp is a very expensive part to replace too, as needle clamps go.
~G~
Old 09-21-2015, 07:05 PM

Still cleaning the Kenmore 1701 when I can get the time. I got it and then have barely had my husband out of the house. And he counted the machines today and missed Enterprise so this program is a good program. :P But I can turn it over by hand and today I tested out the chain stitch I wanted so much. The adapters clicked in and it worked right away. It was so easy. Not like the Touch & Sew 600E which had to have the bobbin cover down here and rethreaded up there and new needle plate here and going to make a mess anyway. The chain stitch with the recommended settings is very long and not elegant, it just looks like a double needle straight stitch more than anything. I will play with it more when I am not turning the machine over by hand.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:04 PM

Haven't been on for a while, have some catching up to do. I have a problem I hope someone can help me with. I have a 66--16 in a cabinet with knee control. My daughter got it at an auction house for $25.00. It's in beautiful shape, both machine and cabinet. I have used it a lot and it has a nice stitch. The problem is when I have to replace the bobbin. The thread won't seat in the second grove. It slips out and then I get a bad stitch. Can anyone help with this? Is there a trick I should know? It takes forever to get it right and I lose sewing time and patience. Thanks. Linda
Old 09-25-2015, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by lolthom View Post
Haven't been on for a while, have some catching up to do. I have a problem I hope someone can help me with. I have a 66--16 in a cabinet with knee control. My daughter got it at an auction house for $25.00. It's in beautiful shape, both machine and cabinet. I have used it a lot and it has a nice stitch. The problem is when I have to replace the bobbin. The thread won't seat in the second grove. It slips out and then I get a bad stitch. Can anyone help with this? Is there a trick I should know? It takes forever to get it right and I lose sewing time and patience. Thanks. Linda
Hi Linda,
Your bobbin has to go into the bobbin case with the thread coming off the left side of the bobbin. Then it should thread properly.
Sharon in Texas
Old 09-26-2015, 04:35 PM

Thanks, Sharon. I had the bobbin in backwards. turning it around solved the problem. Thank you, so much I guess after 50+ years "behind the wheel" I should have known better, but I didn't. Linda from Pa.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by lolthom View Post
Thanks, Sharon. I had the bobbin in backwards. turning it around solved the problem. Thank you, so much I guess after 50+ years "behind the wheel" I should have known better, but I didn't. Linda from Pa.
I have the same problem when I switch from the Singer 66 to the Singer 201k, the bobbin loads opposite from the other one. I'm glad I could help.
Sharon in Texas
Old 10-07-2015, 05:45 AM

hey everyone i'm new to site trying to find any info on FIATI it is stamped on back behind motor made in poland have searched everywhere i can think of cant find a single thing please someone help. looks like singer feather 221
Old 10-07-2015, 07:23 AM
Banned

Lisaconnellhudson - Welcome to the board! We are visual creatures here for the most part. If you can post a picture we would be much more likely to be able to offer good info.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:35 PM

Default dressmaker J-C36

I am a complete novice at this so please bear with me. I bought this machine at a thrift shop for $35 including cabinet. It runs, but seems to have several problems. The reverse button doesn't work. I can't get it to pick up the bobbin thread. The belt seems to slip. I have spent the last 3 days looking at pictures of machines and have yet to see one like this. (Drooling over the machines on here, by the way.) My husband is mad because I bought another machine that doesn't sew. I don't want to take it to a repair shop if I can do it myself. Plus putting more money into it if it is a piece of junk. Anyone have any info or advise on this? Thanks in advance. I am going to clean and oil it well and hope that fixes some of it's problems.[ATTACH=CONFIG]532771[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]532772[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]532773[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]532774[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]532775[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]532776[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1902 (Large).JPG
Views:	231
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	532771   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1903 (Large).JPG
Views:	197
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	532772   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1904 (Large).JPG
Views:	189
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	532773   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1905 (Large).JPG
Views:	203
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	532774   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1906 (Large).JPG
Views:	209
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	532775  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1907 (Large).JPG
Views:	200
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	532776  
Old 10-07-2015, 04:39 PM

Hello Billadillo and welcome to the board. Someone else will be along to offer more specific information, but what you have is a Japanese made machine that could be "badged" or labeled with many different names. Here is a thread that may help you: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t207877.html

I hope you are able to get it operational.

Darren