Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Craft Fair question >
  • Craft Fair question

• Craft Fair question

Old 09-28-2015, 05:17 AM

My sign would be 'pet friendly, non smoking home'. Can not imagine having a pet free home. Yes, I am allergic to dogs and cats (asthmatic). We have two cats and four dogs. The first three months were rough however, I immunized myself by being around them. I would not do this with a child but for me it was a win-win situation.
    Old 09-28-2015, 09:01 AM
    Power Poster

I would appreciate knowing due to allergies and asthma. And no offense to anyone but I cringe when I see pictures of pets on quilts that someone is quilting for someone else. I have made quilts for my daughter that I would never ask to see again because I know they are covered in cat hair.
    Old 09-28-2015, 11:01 AM
    Power Poster

I would like the signs - I feel rather conspicuous holding something up to my nose or eyes to see if I react to it!!
    Old 09-28-2015, 11:34 AM

Definitely post the sign. If I don't see it, I'll assume it's up to me to suss out if you have pets or smoke or not. If someone across from you with similar wares and prices has a sign, I'll visit her first.

I have six furry kids so no offense is meant to those who sell from pet-friendly homes; I just know I'm a pro at getting bodily fluids out of textiles and if you are, too, I might be buying something your cat threw up on. While I might not notice, one of my own crew might, and then I'll be in trouble.
    Old 09-28-2015, 11:42 AM

Maybe you could have the sign say something to the effect of "Notice for those with allergies: All products are are produced in a pet-free, smoke-free environment". That way you're being "politically correct" for your friend. I personally appreciate the signs, and don't think they're snarky at all.
    Old 09-28-2015, 12:57 PM

My daughter is dreadfully allergic to cigarette smoke. In the air, in fabric anywhere near. So I would appreciate the notice. I myself can't handle cat dander, and I know how they love to curl up and get cozy on a project someone is working on. If I am concerned, I will usually ask; letting the crafter know why I am asking
    Old 09-28-2015, 05:31 PM

I had a friend lately ask me when I was going to make her a quilt. and I said IM not.and she ask why and I said you sleep with four dogs, and it takes a long time to make a quilt, just to be used as a dog bed.

I have had two come back to me for repairs after a dog rip holes in them trying to make a nest. TO MUCH TIME AND MONEY FOR THAT. I have a small Jack Russel that will not get on my beds or furniture, right now she is asleep at my feet under my computer.and sleeps in her bed at night ...my FAV SAYING IS "YOU TEACH PEOPLE HOW TO TREAT YOU"
    Old 09-28-2015, 05:36 PM
    Power Poster

I have a pet and am not offended.
    i'm seriously allergic to smoke, and would welcome a sign that said so. go for it.
    Old 10-01-2015, 02:12 PM

as someone who has all kinds of allergies i would appreciate the sign, but i have bought some things from people that smoke or has pets, just depends what it is, i think your friend is being overly sensitive and its nice to think of people that have allergies.
    Old 10-01-2015, 02:16 PM

I would post a sign. For those with smoke or pet allergies, it would be wonderful to know that the fabric is from a home without these allergens. I have seen this sign before at craft fairs, and I do not think it was insulting.