Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The worst part about binding >

The worst part about binding

The worst part about binding

Old 09-28-2015, 01:24 PM

Default The worst part about binding

The most frustrating thing for me when I am hand sewing the binding to the back of the quilt, is the constant tangling/knotting of the thread. It drives me crazy! I've tried Thread Heaven which helps some but not enough. The second worst part is ending a thread when hand sewing and trying to hide the knot. Has anybody found the perfect solutions?
Old 09-28-2015, 01:26 PM
Power Poster

Probably is your thread you are using. I use Mettler Silk finish with Thread Heaven and have no problems for 25 years of sewing binding to the back.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:37 PM

I have two thoughts for you: don't cut your thread longer than 18 inches, and use wax on your thread. Good luck.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:41 PM

Thread Heaven. You'll never regret getting it, and wonder where it was all your life!
http://www.amazon.com/Thread-Heaven-.../dp/B0019CYD42
Old 09-28-2015, 01:44 PM
Power Poster

Are you using double thread or single? I use one strand of good quality thread for hand sewing binding and on't have your thread too long. If you find your thread doubling back when sewing, you are turning the needle as you sew. Hold your quilt up with the thread and needle dangling and let the twists spiral out and then resume sewing. I do a double knot on my single strand of thread close to my work and then pop it into the sandwich.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:50 PM

I got an idea a while ago on this forum and tried it out: Instead of hand-sewing down the binding, I used a decorative stitch on the machine. Forgot to take a picture, but I think it turned out looking quite nice - and it was so much less work and hassle!
Old 09-28-2015, 01:59 PM

Try threading your needle before you cut your thread off the spool. Try it it cant hurt and might help.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:00 PM
Power Poster

I have done mine by machine and hand. When I do anything by hand, I usually have multiple loaded needles so I can just move along without having to stop and reload. Like others have stated sometimes you have to stop and dangle so it will untwist and not knot up on you.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

People love thread heaven but I am cheap and just use any old candle wax I have. Thread and knot the needle
w/ 18 - 20" of thread. Run the thread over the candle to load it with the wax and then the magic step I do is to run the thread under a warm iron to melt off the excess wax. This gives the thread a nice body and I never have twists or knots.

I learned this on the QB and wish I could remember who posted it years ago. I give thanks to them when ever I use needle and thread.

peace
Old 09-28-2015, 03:55 PM

I used to knot the end that was cut from the spool and I would get twisted. I also used the thread heaven without luck. You will get some twists, but not like before.
Now I take a few needles and thread them onto the thread still on the spool. I do not cut the thread. Then knot the end. When you need thread, hold the end needle near the knot, pull the amount needed and cut thread. Knot end holding the other needles still on the spool. Pull the needle where you want it on the cut thread.

While stitching binding, when you get to the end of the thread, make a quick knot with the needle (loop needle around stitch and pull), then make a quilter's knot (wrap thread around needle and pull needle thru loops) about 1/2" from the quick stitch and put needle under open binding area and pull knot through to the inside seam. You can tack again if you want inside the seam. Then bind over the inside knots.

Last edited by yngldy; 09-28-2015 at 04:02 PM.