Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Check out your Walmart fabric section >

Check out your Walmart fabric section

Check out your Walmart fabric section

Old 09-28-2015, 08:52 AM

In our local WM the young lady in charge of the fabrics is also in charge of the paint dept.across the aisle. She is great at both jobs but she would like to just be in charge of the fabric dept. She is all of 20yrs old but she comes from a quilting family - the youngest member of our local chapter of FabAnon -but if WM ever sold it she can get it.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:11 PM

*** The one in my area is crap.
*** The last time I bought there - the guy from Hunting/Fishing had to cut the fabric.
*** Associate told me they were considering dropping fabric again.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:17 PM
Power Poster

I gave couple of the gals at Walmart my phone number. They text me if they're on duty. When it's the end of the bolt they give a discount. We share ideas for crafts, tips and tricks. Also on FB.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I gave couple of the gals at Walmart my phone number. They text me if they're on duty. When it's the end of the bolt they give a discount. We share ideas for crafts, tips and tricks. Also on FB.
I was told by the manager in my local store that they would get fired if they call customers about fabric. Won't hold if you call, but they have full coverage in fabrics till 11 pm.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:33 PM

This is one of the reasons I no longer even look at the fabric at my local Wal Mart. If I find something I like I have to go to the service desk, there is a line there. Then they page someone to fabrics. I go back there, no one ever comes. Go to service desk again and complain, often no one ever comes. If someone does come they have no idea what they are doing. I cut my fabric while they watched last time. Never again.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:24 PM

Ours has a bell to ring and a few times the bell has been answered by guys from sporting goods and ours know how to cut and fold the fabric as good as the women.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:01 PM

Ok, I solved the problem of no one at cutting desk. I just take my phone out and call the store. I tell them that I want to get some fabric cut. Usually some one comes directly and if they are not knowledgeable I just instruct how to cut it. Taught all those in the painting & surrounding departments. Then if I have time when I go to check out I ask to speak to the manager & I usually work into the conversation the amount of items I am purchasing. Also mention that if I had gone to a quilt shop I would not been here purchasing these items. There are quite a few of us doing this now so the manager has started to have more people trained. There seems to be a lot turnover. Our fabric department seems to be getting better quality fabrics weekly. Some stores are designated as "design stores". The managers finding crafty people don't just sit back & wait anymore. Also go to Wal-Mart's comment email & thank them for the improvement in the fabric department. Honey always went farther anyway. Also left a plea for a better plan.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:00 AM
Power Poster

When I worked the fabric department, about 5 years ago, the fabric was great and we had an associate for both shifts. Only on third shift was it unmaned. I would love to have the department back. I found the quality of the fabric on par with JoAnns and Hancock fabrics. Cherokeequilter, I have done the same thing. In fact, when I go to another WalMart at night, I just ask for an associate to come and watch while I measure and cut the fabric then have the night manager print the ticket for the register

Last edited by twinkie; 09-29-2015 at 03:03 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:13 AM

I was at a local Walmart recently and they were stacking all the quilting fabric together by color. All of the Waverly fabric is lovely, I counted 10 pink fabrics that went together, just wonderful fabric. I have used the pure white in about 3 quilts now and it's great.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

I love some Wal Mart fabrics and have bought many yards of it.