Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should you tell someone if you see a mistake? >

Should you tell someone if you see a mistake?

Should you tell someone if you see a mistake?

Old 09-29-2015, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

I don't think criticism is helpful unless it is asked for (for instance when a quilt is submitted for judging), so I wouldn't point out problems in workmanship. But a block turned the wrong way, a fabric that is upside down... any problem that you legitimately think is a mistake that the quilter has not seen but would like to fix... I don't think of that as criticism. I would privately and politely ask if the quilter knows about it. I know that I have made those mistakes before, and I would like to be told so I could fix them before quilting.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:42 AM

If the mistake can still be fixed and if its something like a piece turned wrong, then yes, tell them. If its poor binding or cut off points, that is not a mistake and is usually just due to inexperience and they will improve on their own. I think comments should be to help, if its not already too late, but never to critique.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

Ok, here's a slightly different question... one of my first quilts was underquilted and it was a disaster after several washings. I sometimes see quilts posted that are underquilted. Would you say anything about this? Send them a PM? Ignore it?
Old 09-29-2015, 05:47 AM

BEFORE it's quilted, I would definitely tell someone if there's a mistake because I would want to know. If I show a quilt top with a block going the wrong way or have made some other 'oops' that can be fixed, PLEASE tell me!
For comparison, a friend doesn't let a friend walk around trailing a strip of TP, because she "doesn't want to embarrass the person, by mentioning it!" She tells her friend, so as to not cause her friend further embarrassment.

If my seams are a bit off (and they often are), I've already agonized over it and am hoping no one else will notice (or mention it). Same thing if I accidentally miss that perfect 1/4" seam and lop off a point.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:48 AM

I don't think I'd appreciate it if someone was always pointing out my clipped off points or other nitpicks, but I would definitely appreciate being told if I had a block in backward or upside down. Especially if it wasn't quilted yet.
I showed a finished quilt once that I had mistakenly sewed the last row on upside down. It became my first row and is ALWAYS put under the pillows.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:50 AM

I think I am with the majority here. Who cares about missing points or empty binding--except those pesky quilt police--but a wrongly placed block or wrong coloured piece--that is a whole nother story and I absolutely would want to know while there is a chance to fix it. A politely worded PM would be my way of sharing the info with the maker and then it is up to the maker to rectify or consider it a 'design decision'.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:54 AM

I would want to know!!! Sometimes we just don't see it, we may work so long on a project we become "blind". I am not perfect and would appreciate someone pointing out my mistake!!
Old 09-29-2015, 06:09 AM

I too can't find the mistake on some of the quilts when mentioned. I find on my own quilts if I take a photo of it, the error becomes clear as day to me but couldn't see it when it was hanging up on the design wall. Don't know why that is but these days I'll take a photo just so I know ahead of time before I go to quilt it Also it seems to help me see if the arrangement works. As to whether you should tell the person about the mistake, boy that's a tough one. Some don't want to know, others don't care to know. For myself, please email me privately and let me know....though if its already quilted, its too late as I know I won't tear it apart and fix it then..........unless its a HUGE, BLATANT MISTAKE. Then yes, I'll fix it.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Ok, here's a slightly different question... one of my first quilts was underquilted and it was a disaster after several washings. I sometimes see quilts posted that are underquilted. Would you say anything about this? Send them a PM? Ignore it?
I'm have seen these too, PP. But I have refrained from saying anything. Perhaps mistakes like those are best left to the maker to learn the consequences. If they post the aftermath asking "what did I do wrong" then by all means mention not enough quilting, but otherwise I let that sleeping dog lie. Too many times I have seen the flamefest start with "too much quilting makes the quilt stiff" or "I want my quilt to be soft and snuggly". We can shout from the mountain tops till the cows come home that batting selection and thread selection affect stiffness/softness combined WITH quilting density not by density alone. Too many seem to choose batting based on recommended spacing of 10" and while the batting may hold up that doesn't mean the quilt still won't bag, sag and wrinkle in those areas where there isn't enough quilting or pieced seams will start popping and coming apart when someone sits on the quilt because sufficient quilting isn't reinforcing them and taking the stress off. Yup, best to leave that particular demon to be discovered through trial and error and learn it the hard way.

As far as clipped points and unfilled binding I would not point those out unless someone specifically said they were entering the quilt in a JUDGED show and want to know what the judges are looking for. Then again, they will find out when they get back the comments what the judge is looking for. Binding may be fixable before entering. A chopped off point not so much. Those are the kind of "attention to detail" things that the maker will only conquer with patience and experience and ONLY if they choose too. I have made plenty of quilts in my day with a chopped point and left it as "good enough" because the quilt was a utility quilt not destined for the judges scrutiny. Truth be told, I have even entered ones with that occasional chopped point and it definitely was in the comments.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:24 AM

No, I would not tell anyone about a mistake unless they asked me.