Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hello! New here and jumping in with Machine Purchase help >

Hello! New here and jumping in with Machine Purchase help

Hello! New here and jumping in with Machine Purchase help

Old 09-29-2015, 11:39 AM

I bought my Juki 2010Q from a dealer in California, had it shipped all the way over here to R.I., and never regretted that purchase for one hot second! My Juki is AWESOME. I wouldn't trade it for 5 Janomes! Seriously, you won't regret it. Because it only does straight stitches, as you already know, for my other sewing (I do make garments and other things as well as quilt), I use a Brother machine that I purchased from Overstock.com. The price was great and, again, I haven't had a bit of trouble with that machine either.

I know you prefer to purchase from a dealer so you can get something for the Viking machine on trade-in, but I wanted to put my two cents in anyway.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:43 AM

Thanks Donna! Actually, no one will take my Viking on trade! Only the original dealer and basically she was just literally taking it and not giving me anything for it. I'm going to have to sell it myself. Which I feel badly about because I know it is having issues. I figure if I am selling it for parts or just really cheap then that isn't bad. It's going to the shop again as after talking to them, they will do the same repair again for free. Thankfully. Still, I don't want to keep going through this as the repair person is hardly ever there and every time I take it up to the shop, I'm out a machine for 3 weeks. Argh!
Old 09-29-2015, 11:45 AM

I forgot to ask where in RI you are? I'm pretty close to the border...like a hope skip and a jump...well not even, more like a meander! LOL!!!
Old 09-29-2015, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by boykinsmommy View Post
Thanks Donna! Actually, no one will take my Viking on trade! Only the original dealer and basically she was just literally taking it and not giving me anything for it. I'm going to have to sell it myself. Which I feel badly about because I know it is having issues. I figure if I am selling it for parts or just really cheap then that isn't bad. It's going to the shop again as after talking to them, they will do the same repair again for free. Thankfully. Still, I don't want to keep going through this as the repair person is hardly ever there and every time I take it up to the shop, I'm out a machine for 3 weeks. Argh!

First, Welcome to the board!

Second, I have a Husqvarna Sapphire 875Q which I love. It was bought at a quilt show in TN for $1000 less than the on-island price and was a newer model than what was available here at the time. It sounds like your dealer doesn't know how to repair Husqvarna machines. Too bad, because this is a great machine. Consider taking it along next time you're on a road trip and take it to a different dealer with expertise fixing Vikings. You could always use it as a backup machine.

Thirdly, I'm looking forward to hearing all about your experience with the Juki machines. Have fun playing!
Old 09-29-2015, 12:37 PM

I have the Janome 7700 and use it from start to finish on my quilts...also have found that FMQ is best done with the feed dogs up on this machine. This I found by watching Lea FMQ on a Janome 7700. It has been 2 years since the purchase of my machine and still no problems...Hope you find what will make you happy.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:36 PM

*** HI! Y'all welcome from the upstate of South Carolina.
*** Can't help you with the machines.
*** I only have and use my oldies (FW - 301A - 66).
Old 09-29-2015, 02:07 PM

Jbj137

Hey! I lived in the Upstate for a fewyears...just outside of Spartanburg. Loved to go to Greenville andhang around..lots of fun. Was just a bit hot for this northerngirl...:P but enjoyed the lower cost of living and the familycentered (and God centered) life down there. Was so nice that youcould go to the mall and see a Christian band playing...for free! Worship service while shopping! LOL!! You'd never see that up here inthe “frozen chosen” land.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:01 PM

I have a Janome 6600P and the Juki TL 98 Q. I realize I am a bigamist. I have a love affair with both of them. The Juki is a great FMQ'r and I just got through quilting a king sized quilt on the Janome on which the pattern was marked with stencils. I couldn't recommend both of them more. The Juki was bought right after the 2010 came out and I turned it down in favor of the 98, hindsight, you know, should have got the 2010 BUT I still love the 98. I love the Janome for it's stitch selection, built in walking foot, and it's ability to adjust and sew whatever I throw at it. The Juki is a workhorse, FMQ's with nary a hitch. Both stay set up all the time and I go back and forth for whichever project I'm working on. Have 2 bernina's, one with BSR, and the other with embroidery unit. can't remember the last time I had them set up. Good luck whatever your choice is.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:56 PM

Just from personal experience I had bad luck with a Janome for quilting and finally sold it. I have friends with Juki and they love it.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:17 PM

I believe you will be very happy with Juki. Look forward to hearing more once you've used them. And I can feel your excitement and anticipation. Have a wonderful weekend with your new "toys"!