Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for ideas! >

Looking for ideas!

Looking for ideas!

Old 10-13-2015, 03:43 AM

Why don't you have classes?? Just because you are unable to pay a teacher to come, use what your members know. You might be in for a big shock, with all the tips and things you can learn from each other. If you are less experienced, check out You-Tube. Then you can sew a block or two showing what you learned, then say what you liked or didn't like about the construction of the block or the way it was cut. Then open the floor for questions, but most of all don't be afraid of someone who might know a different way of doing the same thing. You might learn something and they might too. I know just from the QB, I have tried different blocks (outside of my comfort zone, because someone showed a demo that I could understand better than some of the classes I have paid for). This would be something that even members who do very little quilting can get into. Good luck, I'm sure the QB members will have much better ideas.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:35 AM

Your Guild sounds like my bee, we have 24 members. Each month we have a little business where we discuss challenges, birthdays, and other info. Then there is a share time where each member gets to say something or show something. Then it's lunch, then it's a program. The program is put on by each member (its a sign up, some never sign up). It's surprising what each member knows and demonstrates. I try to find a new way to do a block, some show orphan block usages, others demonstrate bindings. It varies enough to keep the group interesting.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:19 AM

I belong to a larger guild. We have someone do a "tip" each month ... it is great! Sometimes she demo's a new ruler or tool and sometimes it is a reminder of something we should already be doing but aren't. You could rotate so each person takes a turn giving a tip.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:30 AM

I head up a quilting community each month. Sort of like a combination Bee & guild. We all bring projects to work on. But, we always try to have 2 demos. We take turns doing it. We keep the demos short - usually around 15 minutes. We show either a block or technique. The person doing the demo usually has several steps already done. So, they can say this is the way to cut it, then sew this seam. Here I already have all the seams sewn, then you do this... So, even if the block is pretty complicated, by having several demos steps already done, it can be done quickly. By us taking turns doing the demos, no one has too much work to do, or wastes too much fabric for a demo. And we learn alot! By teaching we have to first learn it ourselves. Alot of times the block or technique that we volunteer to demo, is because it is on our personal bucket lists.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:39 PM

I was part of a smaller guild and we had a "Pass the Stash" shoe box. Anyone who wanted to participate brought a FQ for the box. Then the box was passed one person to another person to take home each meeting. Once someone had the box, they could pick out as many FQs as they liked and replaced them with another FQ from her stash... the box was then brought to the next meeting where someone else took it home..........
Old 10-13-2015, 05:29 PM

Somehow raising dues from $3/year to $15/month seems like a "guild killer". But that aside, we use members to give programs about 1/2 of the months of the year (as a large guild we do have the $$ to bring in some regional teachers), we also have some type of workshop, usually led by members, every month. Sometimes it's just a sew day for folks to work on their own projects, sometimes a class, sometimes a sew day on one of our charity projects.
our LQS also sponsored a bus trip which was a blast-I think guilds and LQS could join to offer some of those.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:04 PM

For groups with low budgets, how about if different members prepare a topic on which to speak or demo. With so much available via this board and online anyone can become able to confidently speak or demonstrate some quilting topic.
I think dunster's idea of tapping the many years of experience the older members have is excellent, also.

A fun idea might be the following: Ask each member to write down one topic they would be willing to speak about and one they would learn so they could demo it. Then drop into separate bags, and pull one for each meeting of the year with talk one month and demo the next.

Any club/group with no/low budget (which are the kind I usually belong to) must all pitch in and work together to keep things interesting and going strong.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:32 PM

Just a thought. Those who don't have computers at home might enjoy watching Missouri Star Quilt Tutorials. If you have multiple laptops they could all view the same one as long as you have internet access.....or record some episodes and share on a big screen if that is possible.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:23 PM

I would talk to the group about raising the dues to 5.00 a month instead of yearly. Then ask the ones that want to learn more write down what they want learn & ask the older quilters (that no longer quilt) to jump in & help guide them through their project. Maybe ask about every one making one block, of something they have learned, to donate to the group for donation quilts. They could work on putting it together, together. The 5.00 a month would cover the cost of the batting & backing.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:35 PM

We are raising our dues from $25 a year to $30. At some point you may need to raise yours also. I would see if any of the quilt shop owners or employees in your area could come in. You could also have someone come in who works with Quilts of Valor.