Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Repairing an old quilt. >

Repairing an old quilt.

Repairing an old quilt.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:16 AM

Default Repairing an old quilt.

My niece wants me to repair an old quilt. She doesn't know where she got it or from who. But she said she loves that quilt. It is a Dresden Plate pattern and on all most every plate is at least two or more holes that need replaced. So my question is: Do I repair it or make another one quilt to replace this one? Both would take about the same amount of time to do. Thanks so much.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:28 AM
Power Poster

I would probably applique new blades over the holey ones with a similar fabric, but not brighter than the rest of the fabrics
Old 10-13-2015, 04:52 AM

It sounds like she loves 'THIS QUILT' so I wouldn't replace it, I'd fix it. I have a couple of old quilts that my DH's aunt made back in the 30's. They were a little worn when we got them from her and I've tried to keep them getting any more damage. But they need repair and I'll just applique pieces over the worn out ones..... using a fabric similar to what's there. I think that's the easiest way to fix these.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
I would probably applique new blades over the holey ones with a similar fabric, but not brighter than the rest of the fabrics
I agree. Just applique over the damaged blade. In my library, I have the book called "Quilt Restoration" by Camille Dalphond Cognac. That is what she suggest.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

Yes, she loves THIS quilt, but she is also unrealistic about what can be done and how much effort it will take. After your repair, the remaining fabric will continue to deteriorate, and there will be more holes. I would explain to her that sometimes quilts just cannot be repaired and should be left to die in dignity. I would offer to salvage a few of the Dresdens and put them under glass to hang on the wall, and tell DH to pick out a pattern for a new quilt, and this time she will know that it's her aunt who made it just for her.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:57 AM

I agree with dunster!
Old 10-13-2015, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

Would have to see a photo of it before commenting. Depends if the hole if off to the side or right in the blade.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:26 AM
RST

I agree with Dunster. You can spend a lot of time fixing blades here and there, only to have the quilt continue to fall apart.

What would she think about doing a really high quality photo shoot where the beauty of the quilt as-is can be captured. The photos could be printed for wall art, made into note cards, used as screen saver on computer or phone. They'll probably look a lot better than the real quilt does. Then once you have it documented, cut portions that are relatively undamaged and maybe sandwich them in some very fine bridal tulle with stitching grid to offer support to the original fabrics, and make a throw pillow, a small wall hanging, a table topper -- something that she can continue to use and enjoy.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:16 AM

Well I am taking you alls advice. I am repairing the quilt.