Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
scraps, scraps, scraps... >

scraps, scraps, scraps...

scraps, scraps, scraps...

Old 10-15-2015, 07:08 AM

I think I've found my system that fits my personality. Here's how it goes:

1. During a project, I drop all scraps into one big (3gallon?) open rolling bin under my my table. I don't want to burden myself with decisions or more cutting then. If it's 1-2" wide and pressed and a decent length, I put it into a shoebox called Strings, for string quilts.
2. When the rolling bin is half full, I have a pressing session and decide if it's worth pressing or if I'm tired of it. If worth pressing, I then drop it into a shoebox. Clear plastic shoeboxes separate my scraps by color. (If I wait till the bin if totally full, then I'm overwhelmed and start hating the stash, the room, the mailman, the color yellow...).
3. If I decide I never want to see a certain scrap (or larger) again, I either host a game in the Offers section of this board, I sell it, or donate it to my local church-sponsored thrift store.
4. Tiny scraps go into a little ziplock bag. I use it for pillow stuffing for doll quilts.

Ask me in two months if my system is still working. Seems I'm always trying to find a new, improved system!
Old 10-15-2015, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

too funny Nanax4....happy retirement....someday

I'm often the recipient of pieces smaller than 2 1/2"; they do not understand the concept of birth control...one must keep them under control or they will be out of control...I do sort down to 3/4"...why? Because I make minis. The variety of fabrics I get from my quilt friends allows me to step out of my color box. I know I can and will use that size of pieces...If you won't...save the smallest you will use or like, then get rid of the scraps by giving them to someone who will. Many board members are willing to pay postage on a box of scraps. RST is so right in regards to hoarding.

I sort by size if the pieces are cut...when I cut I trim to the closest size I use and throw into my "precut" bins. Non sized pieces go into small plastic shoe boxes sorted by color. It's easier to find what you are needing. The too small pieces go into the trash, but my pieces are pretty small. I figured I have used the life out of the fabric.

If my fabrics were not sorted I wouldn't use them, so sorting is essential for me.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:13 AM

I am fond of making string blocks. Any scraps I receive is cut into 2 1/2 strips and goes in a bin for scrappy jelly roll quilts. Narrower pieces are cut into strips for string quilts. All leftover are used for pet beds. Since I make a lot of charity quilts, the jelly roll quilts work up quickly and the pet beds are always welcome.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:01 AM

Here's what I do with my scraps. I use them all the time now.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t263177.html
Old 10-15-2015, 12:25 PM

I have a 9-cubby shelf with the fabric bins in it. Each bin is a different color, and scraps go into a bin of the same color. Anything smaller than a fat quarter and large enough to cut 2 1/2" squares from goes into the bins. I use the scraps for applique, and my 8 year old granddaughter loves to sort through them for her projects. Anything smaller goes into a trash bag to be donated to make dog beds with. ☺

Donna
Old 10-15-2015, 12:38 PM

It all depends on what you do and what you are willing to do. I've starting cutting scraps that are less than a fat eighth into squares. I have one drawer with 2 1/2 squares and one with 3 1/2 squares. I figure with then get fullish I'll start making scrappy quilts out of them. I also have a drawer for all my extra or orphan quilt blocks with a similar plan. My last step before I consider a quilt finished is cutting the left over scraps and binding length into squares for my drawers. I feel much better about my stash since I started doing this. Now I don't have random odd pieces all over the places. My totes are for yardage, fatquarters and jelly rolls. Everything else gets cut down to squares. Everything left from the trim down goes into a box and when it is full I give it away or find a home for it.

Bonnie Hunter has a great method, that's actually where I started but I only do what I know works for me.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:06 PM

The smallest scrap that I keep is 2.5 square. Over time I have discovered that very seldom use anything smaller. I have a BIG clear plastic bin that I keep all scraps in I also have a number perhaps 10 of those plastic shoe boxes that I use to store standard sized cuts that I know I use, 2.5, 3, 4, 5 long strips that are 2.5, misc. pieces of binding odds and ends and so on. I love scrappy quilts and use so more scraps than anything else. I do not sort scraps by color.

I have never given scraps to the birds but I have used snippets of yarn to the birds in the spring. I have had some very colorful nests in my area.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:54 PM

PLEASE do not give fabric scraps or yarn to birds. For one thing, the threads can get wrapped around the bird's leg(s), cutting off the circulation. The leg(s) will eventually die and fall off. Secondly, if the fabric scraps are used in a nest, they stay too wet, causing mold and mildew. Baby birds are very fragile, and this can make them ill.

Source: Personal experience! I used to raise finches, and yes, they do enjoy fabric scraps ... until the day a loose thread got tangled around one of their legs. Luckily I noticed it before any damage was done. No more scraps! Another time, I bought some nesting materials from a manufacturer, and didn't notice it had tiny hair-like threads in it. One would think that it would've been checked for safety before it was advertised for sale! By the time I noticed that one of the threads was tangled around one of my bird's legs, it was too late. The leg was too far gone to save it.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:07 PM

Paper Princess, Thank you for that link, I am getting ready for a BIG move to Ok, and want to go through 3 large plastic bins, cut those scraps down to useable, and sort by color. Hopefully before I have to go. This was a great help
Old 10-15-2015, 03:21 PM

I'm starting to make more and more scrappy quilts. No sooner had I cut most of my scraps into 2.5" strips than I found a pattern I really loved … that called for 3" squares . With the exception of "strings" (strips less than 2" wide), I'm learning not to cut up my scraps 'til I need them.