Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
scraps, scraps, scraps... >

scraps, scraps, scraps...

scraps, scraps, scraps...

Old 10-16-2015, 11:02 AM

I'm not into the reuse type of thinking when it comes to quilting. I give my fabric scraps to a quilter I know cannot afford to buy a variety of different fabrics.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:10 PM

I toss them. I'll keep or make some 2 1/2 inch squares and HSTs to practice with.
Too many quilters don't want them if they aren't folded or you can't deliver them.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:16 PM

The very small shreds of fabric goes into old pillowcases. I fill up the pillowcases which are used at the local dog shelter.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:47 PM

I used to keep 1.5" squares for a postage stamp quilt. However, due to health issues, I've abandoned this goal so no longer save them.

I currently save nothing smaller than 2 inch square and 1.5 x 4 inch strips.

I put my leftovers into a scrap box. After a year (normally), I cut everything up into predetermined sizes. I preplan what my scrap quilts will be in order to decide what sizes to save.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:43 PM

Another push not to throw away the scraps too small to use in a quilt-put them into a pillowcase type case (use your old ugly fabric for the pillowcase) and donate to the animal shelters for pet beds, the shelter can toss them when they get too dirty but at least they gave a little comfort first.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:58 PM
Power Poster

to me my fq are my stash. I buy a lot for different projects.
squirrels like some small scraps too, anything smaller 2 x 3" I give to a friend.
i'm a stash horder, but don't work with small pices to tiny to handle. I did do a crumb quilt
which was fun to make. everyone should make one to join in the fun of it.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:51 PM

I have a pretty green trash can beside my cutting table..all scraps go there...when its full (its a small one) I pull the scraps out, press them, and cut them into whatever size is the largest I can get out of the piece..i don't go smaller than 2 inches.I go up to 6 inches..........if its a long scrap, I do strips in all the sizes from 2" and 3" .....I have a shelf with buckets (these are the buckets that cat litter comes in)...these are labeled with each size, again from 2" up to 6" and the cut pieces go into their respective buckets..when a bucket gets full, I know I have enough to do a scrappy quilt...there are a lot of ways you can use squares and strips and if they are easily available you are all set to sew...I do have separate buckets for the squares and the strips of each size. Try to cut each scrap in the largest size you can, up to whatever your top size is .....
Old 10-17-2015, 08:49 PM

I cut 7", 5", and 3.5" squares. Extra bits when I'm cutting get evened up into string quilt strips. I don't cut specific-sized strips--I prefer to cut those from yardage when I need them.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by fruitloop View Post
I'm not into the reuse type of thinking when it comes to quilting. I give my fabric scraps to a quilter I know cannot afford to buy a variety of different fabrics.
I think this is a great way to repurpose scraps. I am blessed by people giving me fabric they are done with and I am also passing fabric down again.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

You are so right fruitloop and Annaquilts....with the price of fabric, quilting can be an expensive hobby...gifting ones scraps can bring much joy to someone's life..especially a retired person on a fixed income who just wants to sew...oftentimes the items they make are donated so it's a double blessing.