Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 10-14-2015, 11:52 AM

I'm with Quilty-Louise BUY the biggest hoop size you can afford. I have Husqvarna SE and I LOVE it.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:36 PM

I agree with Quilty Louise that Brother is a great machine for the money. I have baby lock and a Brother ... same manufacturer. While I can do 6 x 10, I find I usually prefer 5 x 7. IF YOU CAN AFFORD THE bigger hoop machine, go for it ... but you would get a lot of use from up to 5x7. You would outgrow a 4x4 machine pretty quickly.

I do not do Facebook..but if anyone belongs to a really good online group that is not Facebook, let me know. Thanks.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by sval View Post
This is an embroidery machine question but totally off the thread above.
I'd like to machine embroider/applique stars to a completed quilt top. Should I put them on before or after sandwiching?
It could act as part of the quilting. but having never done this before I wasn't sure how to proceed. Has anyone done this?
Or another approach would be to find a star that is just embroidery. I've been searching for one of those with no success. It needs to be simple and plain.
This is a QOV. the pattern shows the stars randomly placed on the 20 blocks. Will that be hard to accomplish?
As you can tell, I'm really new to using my embroidery machine.
Thanks for the help.
If it is fill(solid),,,then no,,,if it is outline embroiderry, you might be able to, just do a test piece first.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise View Post
Embroidery machines are so much more than simple embroidery
these days.

You can get embroidery only machines, or you can get combo
machines that will do BOTH sewing & embroidery (I have 2 of these).
Both my machines are Brother and for the money I have NOT been
disappointed with them.

My recommendation is to research, research, research, and buy a
machine with the LARGEST hoop size you can afford, but if at all
possible try to get at LEAST a machine with a 5x7 hoop.

The first machine I bought had a max hoop size of 5x7, but it didn't
take me long to realize that I wanted a bigger hoop, next machine
was a 6x10 hoop,,,, but now I want a multi-needle machine....
I bought the Singer with the multihoop capcity..you can literally quilt 4 times the area by rehooping...not for the beginner,,,took me several tries till i got it, but i can embroider out a huge area now.At least 18" by 18"....but it's tricky..I think Singer s on the right track, I think their future machines will be even better. This one is great...but big learning curve!!
Old 10-14-2015, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingFlamingo Greetings ☺️
May I ask ..... What Machines are the Best for the $$ ??
I am shopping now for an Embroiderey Machine.
I want to use it for quilts, plus lots of fun things!
Ive never had one 
Thank you!!
I agree! Do all your research which you are doing right now anyway. I've had a Pfaff which I loved until they updated their programs and my machine would no longer talk to their program. I felt betrayed by their "planned obsolescence". I bought a Brother which I am NOT happy with. It is huge and heavy. I like the hoops but I had those with the Pfaff. Do NOT buy anything that only does 4x4 even if it is cheaper. The owner's (operator's) manual for the Brother is a nightmare to use. It is so confusing and I am not a dummy! I am having lots of trouble finding an instructor to help me do things that was just regular on the Pfaff. I tried out the Bernina and loved it however it is expensive and the feet are outrageously priced. They do run interest free programs occasionally. Be sure and choose a machine that has classes and support convenient for YOU. Check out the manual. I do enjoy embroidery because you get quicker results than with quilting. The Brother machine (Innovis dream creator) is just not intuitive and easy to use. It is heavy and bulky and seems limited in what it can do. I wish you luck and hope you find your dream machine!<strike></strike>

Last edited by maryellen2u; 10-14-2015 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:01 PM

I have a Babylock Ellisimo Gold. I really love it! I make a lot of things for my grandkids, and recently have been making bags in the hoop. It's so much fun! Here's the four old birthday girl top. I added hot fix crystals for bling.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	325
Size:	775.2 KB
ID:	533416   Click image for larger version

Views:	322
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	533417   Click image for larger version

Views:	316
Size:	929.9 KB
ID:	533418  
Old 10-18-2015, 12:27 PM

This is the time of the year when lots of the dealers have machines they are using for classes and fair demonstrations. They will have them discounted when the classes/fairs are concluded. Also new models have been released recently and folks like to trade up. Most dealers give a warranty on the used machines they sell. Sometimes you can get a used upgraded machine for what a new lower line machine would cost.

I have Baby Lock machines and several of my friends have the equivalent in Brother machines. We are all happy with our machines. They are user friendly and lots of YouTube videos to help when you are stumped. Also remember you will need software after you get a machine to use your machine for more than the built in designs.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:03 AM

Hello
I am looking for Matte Embroidery thread, I want to use it to do stand alone lace for various items. Does anyone know a source? Thanks in addvance!
Old 10-19-2015, 11:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MaggieBB View Post
Hello
I am looking for Matte Embroidery thread, I want to use it to do stand alone lace for various items. Does anyone know a source? Thanks in addvance!
Madeira makes a matte thread but it only comes on large cones and I don't know how many places sell it. I usually use cotton thread for FSL when I don't want the sheen of embroidery thread.

Cari
Old 10-19-2015, 03:35 PM

I am having so much fun with in the hoop designs! Who knew you could make such neat things!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Views:	354
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	533700   Click image for larger version

Views:	358
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	533701