Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help with open toe foot >

help with open toe foot

help with open toe foot

Old 10-19-2015, 04:26 PM

Default help with open toe foot

Have a 300series or 1plus Husqvarna can't fine an original open toe foot; bought what appears to be a knock off that had some positives reviews but the foot doesn't come anywhere near the needle and seems made for breaking needles . It came with no directions. This is my second attempt at buying one. Any suggestions what I 'm doing wrong or where I might get a real Husqvarna open toe foot? Thanks.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:46 PM
Power Poster

I purchase all of the feet for my viking from the dealer, tried generic twice with really bad outcome- learned my lesson. If you don't hàve a local dealer do a search and call one, I've had feet, other attachments sent to me from long distance dealers
Old 10-20-2015, 04:56 AM

You need to check the foot before you use it. I had a 1+ and a Rose. I used an old Elna foot with an ankle attached and most of the Creative feet. Viking didn't have the specialty feet at the time. It could be that you need the ankle and foot combo rather than snap-on. The ankles can be at different angles. I'd bought those feet for a Pfaff, and also used them on Brother/Babylock. All were low shank machines.

I'd attach the ankle and then carefully turn the flywheel to make sure the needle didn't hit anywhere. If you zigzag, hit the twin needle button. It limits the stitch to 4mm width.

Last edited by Weezy Rider; 10-20-2015 at 04:58 AM.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

I bought a generic walking foot for my Bernina when I wore out my original foot (I purchased it with the machine). It never worked right. I finally found one that was new on eBay for half the price (dealer's selling price). Just be sure if you shop on eBay you know what the model # is. Bernina feet all are numbered.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:03 AM

One of the challenges with older machines is that the only option is a off label foot because the machine manufacturer never made that foot nor will they now. I have a Viking that I bought new in 1977 and at the time it was the top of the line of their machines. I love the machine but I'm at the point where I can no longer get parts for it (like the foot pedal that is now running hot) and some of the more common feet that are available now just weren't that long ago.

Even though it has scads of decorative stitches (all on cams by the way) it doesn't have some of the more common ones like blanket stitch that you find on even the inexpensive machines today. I've compensated by using an overcast stitch that looks like a backward blanket stitch. I just have to put my fabric in the opposite way!

I've seen my machine in "vintage" displays at quilt shops. To me it's hardly vintage but it's all in the eye of the beholder.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:49 AM

Can you maybe check at a nearby Viking repair shop? Sometimes I find they are the best equipped to find me a part that will work with my machine (whether it is produced by the original manufacturer or a third party -- nothing wrong with third party parts per se; I used them for years on my old Singer without issue. I just made sure to always consult the repair shop & they either had the part or were able to get it for me within a reasonable period of time).
Old 10-20-2015, 11:32 AM
Power Poster

This website guarantees that feet will fit. I have purchased from them before and they provide good quality merchandise with fast shipping. They are showing 3 different open toe feet that will fit the Viking 1+ (I am not familiar with Viking machines, so check that I looked this up right).

http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/hus...ine-parts.aspx
Old 10-20-2015, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
This website guarantees that feet will fit. I have purchased from them before and they provide good quality merchandise with fast shipping. They are showing 3 different open toe feet that will fit the Viking 1+ (I am not familiar with Viking machines, so check that I looked this up right).

http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/hus...ine-parts.aspx

I've bought Husqvarna-Viking feet for my 875Q from this vendor. The feet are genuine Husqvarna-Viking products. Service is fast and convenient. I also buy extra bobbins from him as well whenever I make an order.

The prices are very, very, very good! Apparently there is a big markup at stores.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:24 AM

Thanks for all the help !I knew you wonderful creative people would come up with a solution. I have ordered from sewing on line as suggested. Special thank to Prism99 and HouseDraon for giving me the courage to order online again..