Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Homespun and Calico >

Homespun and Calico

Homespun and Calico

Old 10-22-2015, 09:47 PM

Default Homespun and Calico

Trying to find out if homespun calico is the same cotton as if I were to buy a calico off of the wall at Joanns. I'm going to do a rag quilt in cotton and Hobby Lobby has what they call a homespun calico. I need to know if the weave is as tight a regular quilting calico. I know flannel is normally used but switching it up for desert living.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:07 AM
Power Poster

The term calico has different meanings, depending on where you are, but in the US it is usually a low thread count fabric with a repeating print. Homespun fabrics are also a low thread count, loosely woven. The threads are dyed before the weave, so they usually have a checked appearance. I don't understand why Hobby Lobby calls their homespun calico - perhaps just a sign that the definition of calico is so fuzzy? At any rate, their fabric should do fine for rag quilts. I'm not sure what you mean by a regular quilting calico. The calico on the wall at JoAnn's is not a good quality quilting cotton, such as you would find at your LQS, but it is calico, and it can be used for quilting, but it would not rag all that well for rag quilts.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

I have never heard both words used in the description of fabric. Homespun are usually plaids that are loosely woven thread that make the plaid. Calico were the first fabric that I found in the 80s made for quilting. Flannel is the best fabric for rag quilts because it will easily unravel on the ends and curl. Flannel is so soft after washing, it is easy to cuddle up with it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rag Quilt Close.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	533893  
Old 10-23-2015, 07:32 AM

I saw the homespun in solid colors at HL and it is a slightly looser weave than the calico they have. I would guess that it would be good for rag quilts if used with the homespun plaids. The best way to find out how it will rag is to buy a small piece (1/4 yd?) of each and sew together making a sample rag quilt. That way, you will know how much each will rag and also how much each square will shrink. I think the calico will shrink less than the homespun because usually the weave is a little tighter and the threads are finer.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:38 AM

Homespun is looser and will be great for a rag quilt. It frays easily and I use and love it in regular quilts (not rag ones) too. In those I use a LOT of Bestpress.