Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
rag quilt question >

rag quilt question

rag quilt question

Old 10-24-2015, 01:13 PM

Thank you everyone for your input on this thread. I have bought some flannel to make rag quilts but haven't made any yet. All of your input is very helpful! What a lot of wonderful advice we get on this quilting board! You ladies are all the very best!
Old 10-24-2015, 01:52 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534028[/ATTACH]
Originally Posted by davidwent View Post
My flannels just came in from Hancock, so I am ready to do my rag quilt. My questions...I watched 2 tutes about rag quilt, one from missouri star who first stitched an "X" across the blocks, the other did not due this, which is best? 2nd.. Neither person used batting, is this the norm?
Thank you!
David
Hi!

I don' use the X... And I love making rag quilts!

Susan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	The Eagle Quilt I made for Paul. September 14, 2013.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	534028  
Old 10-25-2015, 04:52 AM

I do the x just to have extra support. Most of these are made for kids and will have many washings. You can also embroider a design in the middle, even an outline of a design will work, then I sew around all of the edges. I use the Accuquilt cutter to cut my blocks and keep alot of them made a head so when an unexpected baby gift is needed I can pull them from the box and sew them together.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:07 AM

how do I make an X on my 10 in square if it is all rubbery decals. The needle has to be forced and it looks awful. I am using old high scholl sweat shirts from hockey and football, etc. The decals are all rubber and thick.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:30 PM

I don't think it is recommended to sew through the rubbery decals. It seems most people avoid that when making a t-shirt quilt and then quilting it. You can sew an outline around the decal if you are making a rag quilt with these shirts. I think a 10 inch block will need to be stabilized with some stitching.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:01 PM

I sew the X and use muslin on the back and batting in the middle.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:00 PM

I also have a question please. I am new to the thread, hello. I just finished a beautiful rag quilt as a gift. I am now about to cry because I used flannels (which I have done on my last three quilts) and I am having trouble with excessive "fuzz balls" all over both sides. I can usually get them off with a lint roller without issue, but these almost seem like they have to be shaved off. We are leaving for our family reunion on Friday and I am so upset I don't know what to do. Can someone please help? (And Im sorry, but I can't figure out how to upload a photo small) :-(

Last edited by dstyjo; 07-30-2017 at 04:01 PM. Reason: photo
Old 07-30-2017, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

David, I don't use batting. Flannel is warm and with both sides flannel they are super cozy and warm. I didn't do the X- not sure what that is about.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:22 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dstyjo View Post
I also have a question please. I am new to the thread, hello. I just finished a beautiful rag quilt as a gift. I am now about to cry because I used flannels (which I have done on my last three quilts) and I am having trouble with excessive "fuzz balls" all over both sides. I can usually get them off with a lint roller without issue, but these almost seem like they have to be shaved off. We are leaving for our family reunion on Friday and I am so upset I don't know what to do. Can someone please help? (And Im sorry, but I can't figure out how to upload a photo small) :-(
You can shave them off using a shaver designed to get fuzz balls off sweaters. Amazon sells them; don't know if Joann fabrics has them or not.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dstyjo View Post
i'm sorry this happened. if you can't find the shaver Prism suggested... i have used a shaver for hair, but have been very careful not to dip it too far towards the fabric. good luck!