Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
myths about irons from Nancy Zieman >

myths about irons from Nancy Zieman

myths about irons from Nancy Zieman

Old 10-28-2015, 07:52 AM

*** Just like Paul Harvey - Now we know the rest of the story.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:04 AM

Yeah for Nancy on the knowledge on irons. I ruined my last iron when I read to use vinegar to clean out int innards. That lasted about 30 minutes after doing that task. Next iron I've been using the filtered drinking water from upstairs to fill my iron but have been lacking in emptying it when done so now it dribbles but will try Nancy's idea about filling it up, heating it and then pressing on the steam button while turning it off and on over the sink. Haven't used the steam portion since it started dribbling.

What's so funny is my iron needs the water from upstairs and my house plants needs the water from downstairs as its not on the water softner which has killed off most of my house plants in the last couple of years. Since changing my watering habits I've kept them for a longer period of time. I keep a couple gallon jugs at the top of the basement stairs for my plants upstairs and a gallon jug of filtered water down near the ironing station. Glad I'm partially doing something right for a change.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I have found it is easiest to just use a dry iron with no water. If I need steam or moisture I have a spray mist bottle. I spritz then press with a dry hot iron. Works great and my irons last a really long time and I never ever have spits, dribbles or leaks.
I exactly like her. With the same results.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:42 AM

After having my water tested I was advised to use 1/2 distilled with 1/2 tap water. Been doing that for years and don't have any problems with my irons. Depends on the area you live in though
Old 10-28-2015, 09:45 AM

Thanks, I just put spring water on the grocery list --- I will now cross it off.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:10 AM

Good article & advice from everyone. Thank you
Old 10-28-2015, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
It would be helpful if the directions that came with an iron SAID this in so many words!
If manufacturers get too complicated and/or demanding in their instructions (and it doesn't take much for the average consumer to think "this is too complicated!") customers will shy away from the product. The old sewing machines that needed to be oiled were a case in point. The schematic in the user's manual gave critical oiling points, but not all of them. The reasoning was that too many oiling points would be viewed as an annoyance. (Singer repairmen made house calls in those days anyway. Can you imagine? House calls?)

I suspect the same is true with iron manufacturers; if they give the customer too many hoops to jump through, s/he will go elsewhere. Besides, if your iron clogs up, you have to buy another one. The manufacturer is gambling that you'll have brand loyalty.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:59 PM

Good information. Thank you for sharing.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:21 PM

I'm with Needles; I only use distilled water and empty after using, if it won't be used for awhile. I've had a Black & Decker Digital Advantage for about 10 years.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:36 PM

Alyce, my iron and I will be forever grateful to you for posting this useful link!