Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where is the Ideal Place to Live for a Quilter? >

Where is the Ideal Place to Live for a Quilter?

Where is the Ideal Place to Live for a Quilter?

Old 10-29-2015, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R View Post
I've often wondered where the ideal place to live would be for a quilter... and what about that place would make it ideal?

I'd love to live near a famous quilt shop/supplier, near the manufacturer of a favorite sewing machine, where there are lots of opportunities to take classes from well-known teachers, or close to big shows.

It seems like some well-known teachers live in the middle of nowhere and, because of them, the economy of the town has boomed.

If you could live comfortably anywhere you wanted as a quilter, where would that be?

I go to a sit and sew at the Community Center in Crosby, TX each Monday with a great group of ladies.

There are several Quilt Shops and sewing machine dealers within comfortable driving distance.

We make quilts for EMS from donated fabric several times a year. When not working on donation quilts, we bring whatever project we are working on. I have learned a lot from the more experienced quilters.

Can't think of any place I would rather be.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:46 AM

Locked in Rapunzel's tower! Nice and quiet with a beautiful view and hopefully regular delicious meals. As long as Rapunzel isn't too chatty, I might actually get some quilting done. Absolutely no need to add to my huge stash.

Seriously, I love to be by myself with a wonderful view and I can quilt for hours. But I also need family and friends to keep me from becoming a hermit.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by my-ty View Post
Locked in Rapunzel's tower! Nice and quiet with a beautiful view and hopefully regular delicious meals. As long as Rapunzel isn't too chatty, I might actually get some quilting done. Absolutely no need to add to my huge stash.

Seriously, I love to be by myself with a wonderful view and I can quilt for hours. But I also need family and friends to keep me from becoming a hermit.
I love it!
Old 10-29-2015, 09:44 AM

I think Paddukah would be a great spot
Old 10-29-2015, 09:46 AM

The right place for me is in my new sewing room. I live in a mobile home with 2 bedrooms. I moved out of my large bedroom to give it to my quilting items. I am just setting it up now. I cannot wait to get it finished. I gave it a new wood floor and am going to make this MY sewing room. I moved my bedroom into the smaller bedroom. It has it's own bathroom and all. I cannot wait to finish. I call it my wonder room. You'll always be wondering what will come out and finished!
Old 10-29-2015, 09:49 AM

IF I didn't own the amount of fabric that is in my fabric stash AND I wanted to move (which I don't) I would choose to be in or near Hamilton, Missouri where I could wander through all of the shops of the MSQC. But, alas, DH and I love our view of the Columbia River out our living room window. We can drive to a multitude of great quilt shops near and within a few hours.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:20 AM

Live right where you are. Use your imagination and be creative. Do not be a copy-cat of someone else's quilt designs. Use a portion of their idea, incorporating it into your quilt to create a totally new design. I've copied then pasted portions of quilt pictures into a Microsoft Word file and store on a flash drive. The name of the document often matches the title / creator so I can find it for future use. Also, I print the picture and store it in a 3-ring binder of Q-examples. The Internet holds an huge amount of information for quilters. You'll find guilds, fabrics, blogs, etc. God bless you in your journey to finding what was once lost or hidden. Hope this helps you. Enjoy!
Old 10-29-2015, 11:23 AM

In a quilt shop! lol
Old 10-29-2015, 11:28 AM

As a quilter, I enjoy living in an area of other quilters so we can get together & quilt.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:55 PM

I find the northwest US to be much more active in quilting than when I lived in Fl but I have also lived in MI and NC that had kots of quilters.