Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Arggh Spray Starch!! >

Arggh Spray Starch!!

Arggh Spray Starch!!

Old 10-31-2015, 04:18 AM

It's because of breathing issues that I try to avoid all sprays, except for a very few specific household cleaners. I usually don't starch my fabric, but when I do, I saturate it in a plastic tub of liquid starch/water mixture and hang it on the outdoor clothesline until it's damp dry & ready to iron. An alternative to an outdoor clothesline would be to hang it on a rack in the bathtub or shower.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:26 AM

I've also had issues with burning my ironing board when using aerosol spray starch. My sewing room is also my guest room, so I line the bed with towels, lay out my fabric, spray and allow it to set before ironing. I don't have a problem when using Best Press, just spray on ironing board and let it sit a few seconds.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
My grandmother would dip clothes in starch in the sink. Wring them out and twist up tight. Then they were put in the fridge over night until ironing day the next day. The clothes were sprinkled with water and then ironed if they were dried on the clothes line after dipping in the starch.

Yes. This is how it was done "in the old days." And still works, by the way.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:53 AM

I had the same problem and what helped me was I purchase unscented Best Press and pour it into a small hand held spray bottle that is travel size. Works well and doesn't get spray all over. I don't have a problem with their spray bottle for large pieces of fabric but just didn't like the spray getting all over everything either.

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
I have never starched any of my fabric before cutting--even when I made the disappearing hourglass. But after reading many comments about stretching and bias cuts, I decided to do just that for my DD's Cascade quilt (http://www.robertkaufman.com/quiltin...scade/#color:1) using a tumbler template.

I am having a terrible time--not with stretching, but with breathing!! The worst was when I was actually spraying and ironing the fabric. After a short time my throat was sore and felt like I had a horrible cold. Now that I have begun sewing the strips, I can still feel it at the end of the afternoon but it is not as severe.

I have spray starched and cut about half the fabric. Do you think I should persevere and starch the rest or would it be okay to finish the project without starching the last of the fabric? BTW, I did not do heavy starching, just a light spray and press.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:05 AM

I never use the aerosol spray. I buy Niagara liquid starch at the grocery and mix it with water in a spray bottle. You can control the amount of stiffness this way and also find no problem with the spraying. Works really well. Thanks for the info bearisgray....my Mom did this but I did not remember the procedure. Would probably work well for starching 1/2 yards before cutting. I starch a lot before cutting my 2.5" strips
Old 10-31-2015, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Holly H NY View Post
I've also had issues with burning my ironing board when using aerosol spray starch.
Protect your ironing board with freezer paper. Tear off a piece that will cover at least the middle, (I use a square piece and lay it on the bias). Lay it on where you want it and iron it on. When the paper looks grungy, take it off (you may have to iron it to get it hot so that it comes off), and put some new stuff on.

My ironing board cover was already ruined when I decided to do this. I trimmed the hole so there were no little globs of fabric there and put on the paper. That piece stayed on for more than a year. Now I have just changed it because I had to take it to a class I was teaching.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:07 AM

Use liquid starch, not spray starch. In Phoenix, I find it at Wal-Mart.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:38 AM

I mix 1/2 StaFlo and 1/2 water in a spray bottle, cover my cutting table with a beach towel, lay out the fabric and spray. Roll up the towel and let it sit for awhile, then iron. Never a problem with overspray, cause you can lift the edges of the towel to confine the spray when you get to the edges.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:46 AM

Default Mary Ellen's Best Press

If you were using Mary Ellen's Best Press I know exactly know what you mean. That stuff makes me gasp! So I quit using it and if I want to use sizing, I use Magic Sizing in the green can. I don't know why but that doesn't bother me like the Best Press. If you're using starch, try using Sta-Flo and mix your own in a spray bottle. That way you're not using an aerosol & getting the chemicals from the aerosol. Yu need to watch out for your health - especially breathing!! It's kinda important!!
Old 10-31-2015, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

I didn't read all the comments on this post so I apologize if this is a repeat solution. I make liquid starch in a bucket and dip fabric into it, hang it on the clothes line till damp dry and then press it.

1. wash fabric, removes chemicals and excess dye
2. dip in starch, make a 50% solution of liquid Niagra starch, squeeze out excess starch
3. damp dry it on the cloths line, or portable, rigged spot over bathtub.
4. press it, if too dry spritz with water

I don't like spray starch, it gets every where and empty cans are not recyclable.

peace