Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The old-fasioned, tedious way - >

The old-fasioned, tedious way -

The old-fasioned, tedious way -

Old 11-01-2015, 04:01 AM

I like the binding by hand also. I do enjoy trying to hand piece hexies in the evenings as well as a little hand embroidery such as the labels that I try to remember to get on the quilts.

Susan
Old 11-01-2015, 04:23 AM

I only hand quilt and enjoy it. I would be so lost with anything electronic to work on. I do have my "basic" sewing machine that I use to assemble my quilt, but that's it.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:33 AM

I like to hand stitch my binding to the back of the quilt. I have an Accuquilt Go and could buy the rag quilt die, but I still hand cut my seams on a rag quilt. I still fmq my quilts on my Bernina 730. But handquilting is in my future since I have some larger quilts in mind that I know I won't be able to fit in the throat of my machine.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:15 AM

I like stitching on the binding, both by hand and machine. Love snipping rag quilts.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:35 AM

I do my binding to the back of the quilt by hand. I love doing applique by hand. I love fussy cutting using 5 or 6 inch square rulers. I also have a Grandmother's Quilt on my bucket list, which will be done my hand. I have the fabric and plastic templates ready to go, when am ready. I also want to do a Yo Yo quilt by hand, possible using scraps and making a picture/landscape quilt.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:00 PM

Even more old - fashioned than fussy cutting with a rotary cutter is using a template, adding a quarter inch seam allowance and cutting with scissors.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

I do still like hand sewing the final stitching on a quilt, it relaxes me, especially since it's the last step to completing the quilt.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:38 PM

Sometimes I still tie a quilt my great grandkids love them with the puffier batting and the softness that machine quilted does not have they do make good cuddle quilts
Old 11-01-2015, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
There are some parts of the quilt-making process that I enjoy doing the old-fashioned, "tedious" way - even though I know there are tools to make the jobs easier.

Some of them are:

Fussy cutting with a rotary cutter
Snipping the seams of a rag quilt (great for relieving aggressive feelings!)
Hand sewing (the second stitching) of a binding
Drafting designs on graph paper

Anything you still like to do "an older/less modern" way?
Well, the old fashioned way to fussy cut is still using scissors . . .I began sewing before the advent of a rotary cutter. I still enjoy needle turn applique and will always hand sew my bindings. But other than that, I'm happy to watch the quiltng industry evolve and enjoy the tools I've invested in to make the tedious chores less tedious so I can do what I really enjoy . . .piece to my heart's content.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:23 PM

I'm with the hand binding group here. Wish I could figure out a way to cut the pieces of a quilt. Not that I don't enjoy it. The process just hurts my hands so much. I tried the brother cutter contraption and it wasn't worth the postage to mail it back. I was so disappointed. I had hoped it would solve my problem!