Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 11-01-2015, 05:53 PM

My first stash pull... I think I may have enuf but might look for some more solid blacks & a few more grays.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1st stash picks web ready.JPG
Views:	1737
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	534713  
Old 11-01-2015, 05:59 PM

Aunt Jo, The grey is a Constant - only one piece of fabric. Of course, you can do it scrappy if you want - no quilt police here!!! Your colors look wonderful, I had lots of reds, but they are not the right color (too much orange), I'm going to have to get more reds, another darker gold, and wouldn't you know I had a perfect grey, but only 1 1/4 yard instead of 1 1/2 yard. Darn!
Old 11-01-2015, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond View Post
Here are my fabrics, didn't even bother with the color cards. After seeing lots of people using green instead of gray I pulled a green one and a denim blue one. I haven't decided which I like best, feel free to tell me which you prefer! All from stash and I even have a backing with these colors in a paisley design on a light background.
DH said it wasn't that I saved by using stash, I just "pre-invested" LOL!!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]534649[/ATTACH]
I like the green. Much better contrast than the blue.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:11 PM

Last year was my first BH mystery. I learned so much and loved the process. I substituted some of the colors and love my quilt. This year I love her colors so will be using those except might use green for the gray. Someone is mailing out the color chips tomorrow since I don't live near a Lowes. This is going to be so much fun!!
This quilt really calls to me since my DGD's name is Allie!
Old 11-01-2015, 08:54 PM

I am still on the fence but think I will use a grayish or olive green for the gray if I jump in.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:07 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's fabrics. I've been looking for a pattern to do a maroon/black/grey quilt. Don't really want neutrals especially with it being the color with the highest yardage requirement. I need to pick up the paint chips and see if the lightest grey would work as a sub for the neutrals.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:55 AM

This will be my first Mystery, so hope I can do well. I got my cards at Lowe's today also. What prompted me were the beautiful colors Bonnie is using. This should be fun!
Old 11-02-2015, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in FL View Post
Bonnie's colors this year are EXACTLY what I selected for Orca Bay. I will find something different for this year's mystery. I saw another lady who swapped black for Bonnie's neutrals and neutral for Bonnie's blacks. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Might be interesting.
I also did Orca Bay in the same colors as this year! I really want to change it up, but I am stumped at the moment. I love the thought of blue and purple and maybe switching the neutrals and blacks. Hmmmm.... am I brave enough? I guess that is the "mystery" aspect of it.... you just never know!
Old 11-02-2015, 04:48 AM

I really want to do this quilt and I know that many of you have made great variations of Celtic Solstice, so I feel that it's certainly OK to change the colors. I first thought that I might switch the blacks to dark olives and maybe the gray to light olive, because I couldn't "feel" the gray going with the mustard-golds, even though there are so many Tuscan churches with gray next to black stripes. QuiltingVagabond, I really like your green fabric, but, if it's going to substitute for the gray that Bonnie used, might I suggest the lighter olive green in the little leaves on the bottom of your right-hand pile? I've got both blacks and dark olives, so I'll have to make up my mind next month as to which I prefer.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by ShirlR View Post
This will be my first Mystery, so hope I can do well. I got my cards at Lowe's today also. What prompted me were the beautiful colors Bonnie is using. This should be fun!
Hi ShirlR, this will be my second....The colors in Grand Illusion were very different from my usual choices but I stayed with the paint cards and the beautiful quilt turned out to be an all time favorite....so glad I accepted the concept of 'mystery'......again this time the colors are interesting individually and having them in plain sight on my cutting table ...seeing them together.....fanning them out or side by side...liking them more each day...this is great !!!!