Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Organizing fabric for estate sale >

Organizing fabric for estate sale

Organizing fabric for estate sale

Old 11-01-2015, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl View Post
One of our guild members passed away last year and her friend and fellow guild member organized a sale to benefit her daughter, so she could go to college. They set up tables in a house that was empty and had two ladies set up at a cutting table to either just measure and tag or cut. Most of us just bought the whole piece. They sold it at 2.00 a yard. Most pieces were about 3 yards. It was a lot of work,because this lady had an enormous stash. Filled up every room of a 1200 square foot house.
Good luck, and I am so sorry to hear about your daughter.

When my sister knew that she was loosing her battle with colon cancer back in 2001, she rented a 2 story row house in Pittsburgh, PA and lined every wall with shelving and added tables. She found someone to come in to sell for her. It was summer and no air conditioning. It was overwhelming for everyone and I was still teaching and 300 miles away, on crutches and had recently had hand surgery. I was able to move most of her 2,500 quilt books to my side of the state and have been sending them all over the world ever since. I know it is very hard to deal with disposing of a loved ones things.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:24 AM

Do you mean this is an auction where they will bid on items? or more like a garage sale where things are priced? I have bought alot of fabric at auctions and many times they sort out fabric according to holiday, baby/children, fat quarters, fleece, batting and etc. Many sort into sacks, boxes, totes and then people bid on it. The bidder will be more interested if they are bidding on all the same type of fabric, cottons, knits etc. perhaps you could sort fabric this way. You would be surprised how high the bidding goes on something someone wants! Important to advertise that there is sewing fabric and items.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:03 AM

The people I hired to do my Mom's estate sale did everything. I just had to have everything out of the house that we wanted to keep or have it marked "not for sale". They did everything, sorting, pricing, I mean everything. They even sold all of the cooking spices that were in kitchen.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

First I am so sorry for your loss and please extend my condolences. I went to an estate sale just for quilters. They set up a couple(2) large 6' tables on bed risers (easier on the back). TAped a tape measure to it and had couple of quilting friends at each table. They had notions and couple sewing machines that family didn't want. The manuals accompanied the sewing machines along with the attachments. No one haggled the prices of the machines. Scraps were sold in 2, 4, and 6'' etc. If there was a 3" piece it sold for 2"$. There were some flimsies that sold also. Unopened packages of batting. It started at 700a.m. and I could barely find a spot to park at 630 a.m. Luckily this was on the edge of town so no hassles of parking in neighbors drives. Not one irate person there. Fabric was separated into holidays which was really nice. They had solids. Nothing but quilting items. The next week they sold the rest of the estate. I spent $35.00. any spent hundreds. One gal bought 2 machines both rocketeers. Had manuals. $100.00 each with attachments also.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:31 AM

SunQuilts, I am deeply sorry for your loss. I think putting FQs together and any other pre-cuts is a good idea. I like the idea of selling by the yard, with posting a so much per yard sign rather than marking all the fabric individually. I also like the idea of having this as a separate sale for quilters if you are able to do it. I don't know your situation, but perhaps a portion of the money raised could go to another horse rescue in your daughter's name. I wish you peace and hugs at this time for you and your family and your daugher's husband.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:13 AM

Truly sorry for your loss. So difficult.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:58 AM

I too am so sorry for your loss. It is a difficult time for all. Why not let the experts handle that, or maybe you have some quilting friends that would help you with it. Good luck and God Bless
Old 11-02-2015, 12:04 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. For this reason I HATE estate sales because, as I look at an item, I think that this was someone's life.. (don't mean to sadden you).
I attended a fabric sale and the sister-in-law had measured all of the fabric and marked it with a tiny piece of paper stapled to the piece of fabric and stacked in piles all OVER the garage.. The tables were stacked really high!
marked like 1 1/4 yard, 2 1/2 yds, 3 yds, 5 yds, etc... Then she had written prices on a poster board that said, "1 yard = $3.00, 2 1/4 yards= $6.75 (I think). I know that I spent $200 and a woman the previous day had spent over $600. I never once questioned the price..it was gorgeous fabric and a great price. Wish that you were closer because I would come and help you measure.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:38 AM

It is so devastating to lose a child, no matter what age. My deepest sympathy to you and your family. My hope is that the folks hired to do the sale will understand the value of the fabric, books, and tools. May you find blessings in each day as you go through this tough time. I don't go to estate sales, although I know one can find good values at them.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:23 AM

Just want to say my heart goes out to you. I can imagine that you are overwhelmed at this point. Do what you can to suggest the best way for the estate people to hand it and then step back and let them do the work. You still might want to notify several guilds in the area (or have friends do it for you) of the sale.