Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone ever take a sewing machine on cruise? >

Anyone ever take a sewing machine on cruise?

Anyone ever take a sewing machine on cruise?

Old 11-02-2015, 12:52 PM

Take your machine if you feel like taking it. Those sailing days can get really long. Why is it okay to take books to read but not okay to take other things for down time? Take a head lamp if the lighting is not great. Take a plug strip if there's only one outlet. Cramped space or not, if you want to do something badly enough, you can make it work. And if it doesn't work, you probably still have a book or two.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:13 PM

I have never been on a cruise, but I have been on vacations with family and friends. Some times there is time to sew, other times there is no extra time. But I have a travel machine which fits easily in the car when we go. If it never gets out of the carrier that is okay. All I did was take up a bit of space in the car. Your question is will the ship be able to accommodate the electrical current to run your machine, it would seem it will be fine, just call them and ask.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:52 PM

Haven't been on a cruise, but just back from Ireland and one item I greatly encourage you to take is a sketch book--I not only used it to jot down notes from what I saw, but also sketch different designs I saw or was inspired by that could become quilting designs or inspirations for quilt tops--even if it's just listing of colors that you see in a scene. Guess what I'm saying is that while you might not get lots of piecing done (and I wouldn't bring a machine just cause of lugging one around and not wanting to be sitting in room by myself) a trip can provide you with so much inspiration in all the new "views"!
Old 11-02-2015, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by mlt150 View Post
My family is cruising the week of Thanksgiving on Celebrity Reflections and my stateroom looks to have power outlet by the desk. I would love to finish some Christmas gifts, but not sure the power source can handle a Janome 3160. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance, Dianne
I agree with my-ty. Leave your machine at home and enjoy your cruise.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:39 AM

There are tooooooo many fun things to do on a cruise to warrant me taking my machine. Plus I would have to take an extra suitcase just for QUILTING supplies. I personally wouldn't want to be carting my sewing machine thru airports even if it IS in a rolling case. Rooms on cruise ships are barely big enough for sleeping let alone spreading out to cut and quilt. Take it if you want- if you use it -fine- if not - also fine! Do what YOU want to do... Have a great cruise whatever you decide.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:53 PM

If you are flying to your port, don't forget to check with the airline about bringing your machine. Bring your machine if you can, it is better to bring it and not use it, than to find yourself with free time and not have it.