Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
SINGER 66 now sewing mostly straight! >

SINGER 66 now sewing mostly straight!

SINGER 66 now sewing mostly straight!

Old 11-03-2015, 07:26 PM

Default SINGER 66 now sewing mostly straight!

Sew, it's working much more naturally, as in it tends to sew straight lines.

After a shot of bourbon and a good hard think, a little grease and different placement of a locking washer I am getting a much cleaner and softer sound from the machine. It is going to be fun over the next several months getting reacquainted with the original setup of my 1911 Singer 66. I hadn't really become accustomed to the side clamp and revco modification, but the fact that I could use more attachments and backtack felt great! I guess my 201 will have to suffice.

Here is a YouTube video showing the REVCO stitch regulator, it really was nice using my 66 more often. But, most recently I've been using my 201 more because I haven't performed any modification to it. So I think that tells me that I'll be happy restoring my 66 to its original back clamp, forward only state.

Last edited by Beautiful_Sound; 11-03-2015 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:49 PM

Well, it's easier to correct if it goes amiss....still curving
Old 11-04-2015, 03:12 AM

Curving? You have to guide the fabric a bit, but it should be a case of adjusting the feed dogs? I usually go for original set up too, and in the case of back clamps, as long as I have the basic foot, a feller foot and a zipper I hardly use any of the others. Keep an eye on fleabay or similar places, back clamp accessoires turn up now and then. I would go for oil on model 66, there's no need for grease, it will run a notch or two lighter and smoother on Triflow or Finish Line Ceramic Wet Lube. They are the only ones I have found that might improve on the basic sewing machine oil, which isn't bad at all.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:35 AM

Beautiful_Sound,

Just watched your You-tube video. I also have a Singer 66 that was retro fitted with the Revco-Reverser that barely works. Your video showing the position of the feed dogs in relation to the lever will give me a bit of a clue on how to adjust mine when I get it back here.
Do you have any installation or adjustment manuals for the reverser?

Joe
Old 11-04-2015, 08:22 AM

Nope no adjustment manuals or instruction manuals, I just pulled it out of the donor machine and put it into my 66. It was a little touch and go but I had a bit of time on my hands. What isn't working properly?
Old 11-04-2015, 10:02 AM

The reverse on the 66 and 99 can never be more than a simple backtack. It can't reverse like a 201 or some of the model 15s, which can be set to give any stitch length you choose exactly the same both forward and reverse. I never knew of this reverse lever kit until this post though. I have seen similar feature on other brands than Singer, quite early on before the 201 and 15 with true reverse entered the marked. Model 66 is rather smooth running when cleaned and oiled well, it's not noisy at all. Does Revco-reverse kit add to the noise level?
Old 11-04-2015, 10:07 AM

It does. There is extra clickity clacking under the handwheel, the lever inside is connected outside the machine with little levers and screws and that makes noise. The ball and socket inside makes extra noise and there is more give in the feed, also slightly noisy.

Last edited by Beautiful_Sound; 11-04-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Beautiful_Sound View Post
Nope no adjustment manuals or instruction manuals, I just pulled it out of the donor machine and put it into my 66. It was a little touch and go but I had a bit of time on my hands. What isn't working properly?
Well, if I adjust it to do a normal long stitch I can't it to reverse. If I adjust it to reverse then I get short stitches only.
The unit on my machine is well used and I'm not sure at all if it is installed correctly. So your video might help with that.

Oh, and I looked at your presser foot to feed dog alignment and noticed it's still a bit skewered. If it were mine I'd rotate it a bit more to the left.

Joe
Old 11-04-2015, 05:51 PM

It's been changed many times at this point. But it's an ongoing process!
Old 11-04-2015, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Beautiful_Sound View Post
It's been changed many times at this point. But it's an ongoing process!
Yep, ofttimes it takes me several small adjustments to get it to sew straight.

Joe