Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one with this problem? >

Am I the only one with this problem?

Am I the only one with this problem?

Old 11-04-2015, 04:20 AM

Take the quilt to a laundromat.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
The laundromats by me actually have posted signs that rag quilts/rugs are not permitted in their machines.

Ohh, not that's interesting...hope ours doesn't do that anytime soon.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:46 AM
Power Poster

The laundromat here has an assistant on duty during open hours. Rag quilts are okay but they have to go in the industrial washer and dryer which holds 3 large washer loads, no matter how small they are. I always take a blanket or comforter to wash along with the rag quilt.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
Hmmm I wonder why?
Not all laundrymats have the same drain systems or piping so I'm sure its due to getting plugged up. It may be that the one mentioned here is ran by a quilter so when they saw the clog they knew what caused it. You can also try washing them in a tightly meshed laundry bag or a large pillow case. You need something large enough that the quilt can move around in and do its fraying thing. I've washed some in my front loader and it didn't clog up but my little grand daughters glove sure did the trick.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:09 AM

I always take mine to the laundromat to wash and dry the first time, because their machines are said to have bigger lint traps, and I have never had an attendant to say I could not wash them there. I always take paper towels and wet them, then clean out the washer to remove any lint/threads left behind. I wouldn't want anybody to get that lint in their wash. I wash and dry the second time at home, and clean the washer afterward, and empty the lint trap on the dryer a few times as the quilt dries. I know someone who always washes her rag quilts at home, and does not have a problem. Not sure why your washer plugged up, but I think I read several posts of something like that happening a few years back, when they washed their rag quilt at home.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by katesnanna View Post
I don't have a dryer (no need) so when I made a rag quilt I just banged it against the wooden fence and that loosened and removed most of the fibres.
I like that!

And remember, NOTHING is a problem - it's a "challenge."
Old 11-04-2015, 06:10 AM

Never made a rag quilt and have no desire to do so. Based on what you're describing I'd go to a laundry mat for the washing.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

I saw a sign like this the other day when I went to pick up a friend at the Laundromat..
Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
The laundromats by me actually have posted signs that rag quilts/rugs are not permitted in their machines.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:50 AM

I'm sure my friends who own a laundromat would LOVE if I washed and dried a rag quilt there. (Said with much sarcasm!)
Old 11-04-2015, 06:52 AM

I used to have a GE washer, top loader with a 'filter tray'. It was THE BEST machine I've ever used. Unfortunately it died a few years ago (I'd had it for about 40 years-they just don't make things like they used to LOL but I do still have the dryer). The filter tray in the top would catch everything that went through the washer as the water would recycle and go into the filter. I had to empty it often, but never had an issue with the drain clogging. They don't make these machines any longer. Never keep the good products; just sell us junk. So any others I'd make, yes, they'd get their first wash in the large machine at the Laundromat. You're lucky you didn't have to call a plumber.