Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one with this problem? >

Am I the only one with this problem?

Am I the only one with this problem?

Old 11-04-2015, 07:00 AM

One year I made a rag quilt for a gift. Of course my sewing projects waited til the end. So on xmas eve with 22 people coming, our main drain plugged up. Xmas morning I had to pay premium price and they came, dug up part of the driveway and cleaned it out. If your washer got plugged up you were lucky. I managed to plug up the washer felting some wool. Burned up the pump. From now on I felt wool in a large pot on the stove.
Rag quilts to the laundromat. Actually I don't do them anymore for that reason. Don't despair. You can still use your dies by laying a plain piece of flannel (for the back) batting for the filling, plain piece of flannel for the top. Then put your die cut pieces on top 1 piece leave a little between them in a nice even spacing up and down. Now cut a smaller square and clip the edges. Lay that piece in the centers of your larger blocks. Stitch around each square. Then bind. Much less flannel to fray. Fastest quilt of all time.[ATTACH=CONFIG]534871[/ATTACH] That is Miss Daisy, one of her favorite quilts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1207120847a.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	340.5 KB
ID:	534871  
Old 11-04-2015, 07:25 AM

I have always been told to go to a Laundromat to wash rag quilts so that's what I've done. The bigger, commercial machines seem to handle the lint.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:28 AM

I've made several rag quilts (lap size or smaller) and never had a problem, but the last one I did made a big mess and kept shedding. I've come to the conclusion that it must be the type of flannel, that some sheds worse than others. Unfortunately, there's no way to tell before washing. I've used good flannels and inexpensive one, and there's no rhyme or reason...
Old 11-04-2015, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
There is an alternate solution but it takes a lot of elbow grease:

Spritz the seam lightly with water and brush it out using the chenille brush. Repeat until you are satisfied.
This is a good idea, keep the kids or the grandkids busy for hours.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
There is an alternate solution but it takes a lot of elbow grease:

Spritz the seam lightly with water and brush it out using the chenille brush. Repeat until you are satisfied.
This is what I do except I dry in dryer between spritzing and empty lint catcher several times and shake shake shake and then wash in top loader. So far so good.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MarthaT View Post
I'm sure my friends who own a laundromat would LOVE if I washed and dried a rag quilt there. (Said with much sarcasm!)
Do they have a sign that says no rag quilts or raveling items allowed in regular size washers and dryers?
Old 11-04-2015, 08:13 AM

I have a top load washer and I have had no problem. Cross fingers. I am sorry that cause so much trouble.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:19 AM
Power Poster

Since we know the lint problem these create, isn't it irresponsible taking them to a laundromat? It's messing up someone else's machine instead of our own. I'm not comfortable with this.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:36 AM

Washed mine and had to buy a new machine. never again. It was homespun fabric so it really ragged. lol
Old 11-04-2015, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by sewnclog View Post
I used to have a GE washer, top loader with a 'filter tray'. It was THE BEST machine I've ever used. Unfortunately it died a few years ago (I'd had it for about 40 years-they just don't make things like they used to LOL but I do still have the dryer). The filter tray in the top would catch everything that went through the washer as the water would recycle and go into the filter. I had to empty it often, but never had an issue with the drain clogging. They don't make these machines any longer. Never keep the good products; just sell us junk. So any others I'd make, yes, they'd get their first wash in the large machine at the Laundromat. You're lucky you didn't have to call a plumber.
I'd say your screen name is appropriate for this topic.