Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting tools I wish I could buy! >

Quilting tools I wish I could buy!

Quilting tools I wish I could buy!

Old 11-06-2015, 08:09 AM

I'm really surprised that no one has talked about the creative grids rulers. They are exactly what you were wishing for and they are wonderful. I have several and love them. They also have little pads on the back that keeps them from slipping. check out their website
Old 11-06-2015, 08:09 AM
KLO

Front loading bobbin for me also but bigger. So much easier to take out especially if you still have a quilt on top of the machine and need to reload the bobbin not to mention the better feed of thread. But yes it would be nice to be able to see how much thread is left on the bobbin. I also would not want to do without a knee lift (although I do on most of my machines) if I were buying new along wtih the needle up/down feature and a really good light. I need to find a way to keep my foot pedal in one place. No matter what I use under it, it still wanders around on me. Hmmm, maybe tape it down? You guys all had such great ideas. Think the sewing machine manufacturers are listening/reading?

About the undo button: A couple of Aprils ago, Alex Anderson posted a video showing the "undo" button on her machine. Wow, I thought, how did they come up with this? Turned out it was an April Fool's joke. Bummer!
Old 11-06-2015, 08:34 AM

[QUOTE=carolaiken;7366637]
Also move the dang needle closer to the front of the machine so we can see it and be able to change the needle without having to become a contortionist.

I intensely dislike this about my Brother 450Q. Never had this problem with any of my Singers so I don't know why Brother and other makers decided they needed to realign the needle position. Maybe they think the automatic threader takes care of it, but not for me.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:42 AM

With so many feeling as we appear to about yellow lines on rulers, I'm amazed that manufacturers don't know this!
Old 11-06-2015, 09:41 AM

I like your idea about the rulers, that yellow is bad for my vision too. I find that I put different tapes next to the lines I need to mark.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by mawluv View Post
I only have one of the yellow lined rulers{give the others to GD}. I hate them!!! Can't get my eyes to go where I'm aiming for, too, too busy. I thought it was just me!!!
I had the same problem until I discovered a product that is line tape that you stick to the back of your rulers to make your cutting lines much easier and faster to find. It comes in neon colors, but I do not remember what it is called. Could some one chime in with the name of this product? It might be called "Glo-tape"? All I know is my cutting has become faster and more accurate since I "discovered" it. A quick minute to apply, and I am off and cutting....
Old 11-06-2015, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by feffertim View Post
I'm really surprised that no one has talked about the creative grids rulers. They are exactly what you were wishing for and they are wonderful. I have several and love them. They also have little pads on the back that keeps them from slipping. check out their website
I actively dislike my Creative Grids rulers. There is way too much "activity" on them. I have to pay close attention to what I am trying to do when using them of I "lose my place."

Not quite as much as I dislike the gridded Quilter's Rule ones, though. I don't like the thick lines created by the grids.

I love my Olfa frosted ones. They are "plain and simple" and don't slip (for me, anyway). Plain and simple as in - easy to read, the lines are thin, and they show up on almost everything.

They Omnigrid rulers with the yellow lines - they were "the best" when they came out. They are in my middle range. I am fond of the 1/8 inch gridded 4x8 one . That one is wonderful for cutting small scraps accurately. I also like the 1/8 inch gridded 3x18 inch Omnigrid ruler. I did put the sandpaper circles on them to minimize slipping.

It's good that more than one style is available!
Old 11-06-2015, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tiggersmom View Post
I love my Baby Lock machines with the top loading bobbins.......what are your objections to these?

I want a table that raises and lowers on hydraulic pressure so it can be adjusted for different heights of quilters.
Hey Tiggersmom. Martelli makes one. You can adjust any which way you need. I do not have one but have seen them at Quilt Shows. They cost some $$$ but would really help your back....
Old 11-06-2015, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
I had the same problem until I discovered a product that is line tape that you stick to the back of your rulers to make your cutting lines much easier and faster to find. It comes in neon colors, but I do not remember what it is called. Could some one chime in with the name of this product? It might be called "Glo-tape"? All I know is my cutting has become faster and more accurate since I "discovered" it. A quick minute to apply, and I am off and cutting....
It is GloLine Tape by Omnigrid. Mine is a three pack. Pink, orange, and yellow
Old 11-06-2015, 05:05 PM

Easy to see needle insertion: Put a small flat mirror under where the needle goes and you can see exactly where it goes. I put the pressure foot down and needle in the up position, it's very easy to see exactly where to put it.