Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just a laugh about fabric >

Just a laugh about fabric

Just a laugh about fabric

Old 11-08-2015, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
This thread reminds me of a discussion I had with friends a few years back, where we were discussing misheard song lyrics. My favorite was Steve Miller Band's song "Jet Airliner", the line goes "Big ol' jet airliner" and my friend thought it was "Big ol' Jack had a light on". Rofl!!
OH YES!!! I heard "take the back right girl".....turned out to be "Paperback Writer" by the Beatles.
Old 11-08-2015, 03:28 PM

Rennie - I'm of Brit descent so still not sure what civil war reproduction means but am assuming -looking like that period type fabric ?
My name pronounced like your but spelled " Rene"
Old 11-08-2015, 05:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am View Post
never heard the French part in the felled phrase -- learned it as a "flat felled seam"!
maybe it originated in France -- who knows
They are two different techniques. A flat felled seam is finished on the right side of the item with the additional stitching to make it flat. Like on your jeans. A French felled seam is the one where you sew the item wrong sides together then encase the raw edges in another seam, like when you finish a pillowcase, although I think most people call the second one just a French seam.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 11-08-2015 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:23 AM

Our son when learning the Pledge of Allegiance, instead of 'indivisible, with liberty and justice for all', said "indivisible, with liberty just enough for all".
Old 11-09-2015, 08:38 AM

Reminds me of "Gladly, the Cross-eyed Bear"

More "mondegreens" here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondegreen
Old 11-09-2015, 08:41 AM
Power Poster

Ditto on this also.
Originally Posted by joyce blint View Post
Well, I'm 66 yrs old and just learned something.....thanks for enlightening me! Never too old to learn!!
Old 11-09-2015, 09:58 AM

I'm passing along a tip for all Quilters who iron (in case any of u haven't seen this yet)! The BEST thing I have in my Quilting Room next to my Rotary Palm Cutter (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um_VB4q4ywI) is my STRIP STICKS..... www.thestripstick.com
Hope ya'll Enjoy this and invest in these two Tools that will make your Quilting Life even Better!
Old 11-09-2015, 10:14 AM

My sister used to live in an area where they did Civil War activities and thought it would be fun to join in. They wore period clothing, did the cooking, set up shops, had quilt shows, a lot of activity from that time 1850's era. Her friend that introduced her to it loaned her a pattern to use to make a dress. It was a shirt waist dress made of the indigo fabric with little white decoration of some sort. My sister told her friend that it looked so familiar, and but decided it was a popular pattern, she must have seen when she was trying to pick out a pattern. So she brought it home, and then looked at a picture of our great-great grandmother, everyone called "Mam" because she was a school teacher during the civil war time and there it was. No only was the dress identical pattern, so was the fabric. (Nice to know my family was stylish for their time. :-D ) When she showed it to our aunt and me, my aunt pointed out the two women could have been sisters, even their hair and expression were the same. We got a real kick out of it.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the laugh, it happens to all of us at one time or another
Old 11-09-2015, 12:09 PM

As of today, I have joined this club. I have been sewing since I was fifteen, and know that the grain of fabric is important to the drape of the results. Today, I read the newsletter articles that I get in my email inbox, to learn about the importance of warp and weft in quilting. Silly me figured it did not matter in quilting....I bet my corners will be easier to match now......��