Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long arm, mid arm comparison >

Long arm, mid arm comparison

Long arm, mid arm comparison

Old 01-16-2010, 09:14 PM

I would like a copy of comparisons - if possible
Old 01-16-2010, 11:10 PM

BabsO, I'll be happy to pay it forward and send it to you when I receive it. Can you send me PM with your mailing info?
Old 01-17-2010, 04:01 AM

I agree with many of the above comments to "test drive" several models and also it helps if someone in your area can teach you its use and service it if needed. I also want to comment about your room. Make sure you have enough space. You'll need to be able to get around the entire machine and frame. Also look at how the "sandwich" is applied and held on the frame, how do the rollers advance, how easy is it to adjust the height of the frame. Is the machine upgradeable (sp?)? If you spend less money now, can you add features later?
Bottom line is LOTS of HOMEWORK and research. But afterall, this is a large investment and you don't want to spend your money and then be dissatisfied.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:22 AM

When I was in the market, I went to the MQS show and tried out the many different brands. It was very overwhelming but I did get tons of information. Then I made my own sheet showing the good and bad features of each brand and size along with prices. Then I took my time and done much research online. When I felt I was ready and had narrowed down the list to 3 different models, I called and arranged to try each on them again at a dealer. There are also chat rooms for several longarms and reading information on them helped greatly. It turned out that my first pick was what I purchased. It had the best featured that I knew I wanted and needed for the future plus the best price. It was too big of a purchased to find that it was not big enough to do all I wanted, so I kept future plans in my mind. I have had it 6 months and never regreted it once. Longarm university is a great place to start. It may be hosted by Gammil but it does give you names of other manufacturers and lots of great information for anyone wanting to purchase a longarm. Hope this helps.
Connie, Kansas Innova 26" owner and proud of it.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:19 AM

Take a looka a device called a PC Quilter and also the "Max Throat" attachment for it. You can use the HQ 16 (or almost any other machine and almost any frame that you already own with that...it is a fully robotic and copmputer-controlled device that will do anything that you want to do automatically, without errors or back-ache, while you do something else as it works. Cost?..under 4 thousand with a new frame and a new machine, if you need them. But the best part is that you may need only the PC quilter itself, for about 2500 dollars. the device is a mororized X/Y axis carraige that mounts your existing sewing machine and fits your existing frame. The Max throat is an automatic attachment that rolls and unrolls the quilt as the sewing machine moves...so its like having a full-sized industrial frame the size of a king-sized quilt. Google the name for lots of videos all about it. It is the cats PJ's..and it is a cheap and very good system of high quality.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:38 AM

Yes, I've seen the PC Quilter. Looks very cool on-line. There's also the QBot and the Shirley Stitcher 2 now. So many options it makes me a little tipsy.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:11 AM

I got the article from Pegg yesterday. I'll scan it and send it via e-mail to anyone interested. PM me with your e-mail address and I'll shoot it over. To be honest, I've not had the chance to read it yet, but it looks very informative.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:53 AM

Hi Candace, I live out near Placerville, and have owned a longarm for over 6 years. Before I purchased, I was too impatient to go to a major quilting show, so i contacted each company and asked to test drive with a local Northern CA customer. At the end of the test drive, you will know which ones "feel right" for you and work within your budget.

Oh yes, I ended up purchasing an A1 and have been happy with my purchase. I attached a picture on my studio (in cleaner days!) Right now, Cara Gulati is the A1 Dealer for California and may be reached at [email protected]. (let her know I sent you! :-))

Other longarms besides the A1: I recently test drove many of the major longarm brands again while I was teaching at International Machine Quilting Showcase (MQS) in May. I was impressed with how the new innova machine is coming along. Also with the Gammill Vision.

When test driving a machine, make sure you try it with the stitch regulator on and off. See how it works on the diagonal and with making circles. Is the machine head and carriage combo move in a fluid motion? Do your research thoroughly and you will be happy with how it works out.

Midarms, when compared to a longarm, have the edge in only one area- price of machine. I have stitched on many brands of midarms. Again, I suggest you try them all. Be aware that many manufacturers call their systems "longarms," no matter what the size of the throat or working space. They do this for marketing reasons.

Good luck with your purchase! I am so glad I made the leap and bought one.

Regards, Carla
Blog: http://featheredfibers.wordpress.com

My A1 Longarm Machine sitting in my studio.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]107430[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-107425.jpe
Views:	170
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	107430  
Old 08-30-2010, 07:04 AM

I'm not in the market this very second for a long arm anymore... You've got a great set up! Part of the reason I can't get one now is of course the money, but the second reason is that my daughter is talking more and more about staying here in college and not living at the dorm. And I was going to snatch her room up. Well, there goes that plan...
Old 08-30-2010, 07:09 AM

Owning a Mid-arm (Short arm) machine does have its limits... but if you
intend to do this as an in-home business, I would go for a LongArm.
Figuring, of course, the money involved for a Long Arm, and how long it will
take to generate customers so you can recoup your investment, before you are
actually making money! My $2000 investment was recovered in 10-12
months, and am still sewing away.
Remember not everyone making quilts can afford large payments for
quilting .... at least not really often.
But the beauty of Long Arm designs are outstanding, and some quilts
just cry to be finished on that type machine.