Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Denim quilt >

Denim quilt

Denim quilt

Old 11-09-2015, 12:50 PM

After you have removed the seams, worn spots, pockets, zippers, etc. lay out the denim like you would a regular fabric square it up and cut it into the size of squares you want. I made a simple 4-patch with 8" squares denim and upholstery fabric, the best size I could get out of legs of a size 40"x32" pair of jeans, which is now in my car for winter emergency and picnic.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:45 PM

I made a rag quilt for my daughter and used denim for the front and back but no batting. It turned out good and has held up really well. I used 6'' squares.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by ukdame View Post
Would look nice w/some olaid mixed in or as backing.
I have to laugh. I read this posting and thought, "I wonder what olaid is?" Google search figured it out for me.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:36 PM

I have made many denim quilts, and I use almost all of the parts except the zipper, the bottom hem, and waist band. I use all different size squares, and strips.. I love adding the pockets to the quilt especially if it is for a little boy.. I like using different shades of blue so things contrast.. I work with the pieces like they are a jig saw puzzle.. For the backing, I use flannel..
I just finished the top to one, but am unable to post on the board, but I can email you a picture.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:35 PM

Here's a couple pictures of the denim quilts I make. These are like a circle quilt, but they start with an octagon (star), rectangle (bricks) or square instead of a circle. So there done when they're done, and there's no quilting or tying to do later.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Denim Stars close 1.JPG
Views:	406
Size:	872.6 KB
ID:	535345   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brick Work 4 close.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	535346   Click image for larger version

Name:	Windows close1.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	535347  
Old 11-09-2015, 07:10 PM

I have made tons of these, over about 40 yrs. I beg borrow or steal levis. First I wash them and dry them, than I start at the cuff & cut a little snip on each side of the side seams. that makes 4 snips per pair. Than I just grab the side seam & rip the leg as far as I can to the top. Rip the inside seam as far as it will go also. Take scissors & cut across the top of each front & back leg. You are now left w/2 longer pieces of levis from each leg. You should have 4 long pieces per pair of levis.
Next I lay the strips of levi on the cutting table, making sure that the edges are on a straight line. I than cut the hems off, across. I than pick a number, usually 10 as it seems like a nice round one. I cut each leg in 10 inch pieces. I leave the width alone.
I than serge around each piece than sew them together with about a 1/4 or 1/2 inch seam. Seaming on the 10" side only. I sew them as long as I feel like. Continue making rows than sew the rows together. Some rows will be longer than others, but just cut them off to the length you want.
* the reason I do NOT square up the denim is by the time you sew all the seams together, sometimes it too thick for the sewing needle. My way, the seams are not all meeting at the same time. They are staggered, & it seems to work better for me.
If you have any ???'s please feel free to pm me.
Hope it all helps.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:08 AM

I made a denim rag quilt for my nephew using 8 1/2" sqares, I backed it with flannel using no batting. I also used red bandanas make letters to spell out his name and appliqued them on there. He LOVED it! ☺

Donna
Old 11-10-2015, 04:47 AM

Jennie Doan at MSQC has a tutorial you can watch.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:11 AM

Agreed...denim quilts get heavy quickly...my son saved his jeans for me...and of course asked for a rag quilt...used my 9 1/2 inch square ruler to cut the squares...made it raggy, with flannel on the front..he wanted BIG...so it's 90 X 90...they use it all the time, big enough for 3 kids and parents to sit on at ball games, etc...gave my son the job of clipping all the seams!!
Old 11-10-2015, 05:31 AM

I had a friend make one with 8 inch blocks flannel on the back no batting and made a rag quilt out of ot no quilting or tying just the X across the blocks and it was an attractive quilt she said the hardest part of it was cutting for the fringe or raveling