Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to REmark lines on the cutting mat???? >

How to REmark lines on the cutting mat????

How to REmark lines on the cutting mat????

Old 11-09-2015, 09:53 PM

Default How to REmark lines on the cutting mat????

My large cutting mat has been used SO MUCH that the lines are all going away really badly.......has anyone got suggestions on how to put the lines back? what to use to remark them? anyone?? tried doing this??? the big mats cost so much $$ we could all use a good idea on how to remark them...............don't want to use a magic marker or something that would rub off on the fabric................any suggestions out there????
Old 11-09-2015, 10:03 PM

I don't use the lines on my mat because they are no accurate enough. I use the lines on my rulers. When I checked my Ofla mat, it was off by about a quarter of an inch from top to bottom.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:16 PM

yeh, me too.....I don't use the lines like I do the rulers, but I do like the lines for lining things up, like edges of fabrics and such as that.......but cant line the edge of the fabric up on the line when the line is gone..................
Old 11-10-2015, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

The mat has served it's purpose. Time to buy a new one. Divide the cost of a new mat by the number of years you have had the old one. This will give you the value for the cost.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

Flip it over and see if you can use the backside. Lines printed on the mats are not accurate as stated in previous posts.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

You could try a fine Sharpie on the back and see if rubs off? I think it might bleed over where all the marks crisis cross also? Really can't think of any thing else you could use to remark the lines. You might be able to use a couple of pieces of Duct tape to make a cross on it so you could line up your fabric with the edge. The tape might get sticky after a while though.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:30 AM

I say retire it and just buy a new one!
Old 11-10-2015, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

I am presently using the plain back of my latest one. It takes 3 rulers sometimes but I get my cutting done just fine.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Tartan. They do make fine line Sharpies in different colors. I would see how it works on the back first. I only use the lines to line up. Also depending how old it is and how often you use it get a coupon and buy a new one. Great idea for a Christmas or other holiday present.
Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
You could try a fine Sharpie on the back and see if rubs off? I think it might bleed over where all the marks crisis cross also? Really can't think of any thing else you could use to remark the lines. You might be able to use a couple of pieces of Duct tape to make a cross on it so you could line up your fabric with the edge. The tape might get sticky after a while though.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:29 AM

I would just use it the way it is. I never use the marks on my cutting mat--I don't think they are accurate. I guess I'm just a tightwad and would use it until it is used up. My favorite mat is at least 20 years old and still going strong.
Sue