Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quit Top Disaster >

Quit Top Disaster

Quit Top Disaster

Old 11-12-2015, 05:43 AM

Angry Quit Top Disaster

I worked on my little quilt project last night (this is my first one, and being done as a trial) and once I got the top all stitched together I noticed how bad it was turning out...

I have some seams that are off by almost a 1/4" or more and some of the blocks are staggered into other rows. I must have missed a step somewhere and I am really feeling down now. Where could I have gone wrong?

I don't have a picture of the disaster yet, but I am working with 12" blocks made up from 6.25" x 12.25" strips in what I can only refer to as a staggered pattern (example below).
[ATTACH=CONFIG]535511[/ATTACH]

I made sure to measure carefully (a few times) and only cut once, but I still ended up off the mark. I was feeling kind of desperate looking for an answer, but the only thing I could possibly attribute it to is my own errors from being new to this and/or stretching fabric.

I will try to get a picture uploaded soon, but I appreciate any advice you can give me. For starters, should I start ripping out the seams to rebuild or should I just write it off as a learning experience and finish this out? Were my expectations to high for a first quilting project?

FYI - I plan on doing this all myself, not sending off to be quilted. I am using a small Singer 9100 so I am not expecting perfection, but usable results.

Regards,
Steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	123.png
Views:	3189
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	535511  
Old 11-12-2015, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

Steve, we ALL have had disasters. What I usually do when approaching a pattern like this is to sew the strips vertically. Some beginner may find it easier to cut the strip in half (from 42" to 21"). If your strips are 2" finished, I wouldn't sew more than 6 or 7 together. The big IF is that your seam allowance is consistent. Doesn't matter if it is a little fat or skinny, just consistent. (there are many posts on this site on how to deal with getting an accurate 1/4" seam allowance-I use painter's tape.) Be careful with pressing. That can also distort a seam. I press my seam one up and then one down but that only works when working with even strips. I have made a lot of bargello quilts which is similar to what you are doing. Hope that you can post a photo because that helps us with our advice.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	AB Close up.JPG
Views:	3243
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	535515  

Last edited by ManiacQuilter2; 11-12-2015 at 05:55 AM. Reason: post photo
Old 11-12-2015, 06:28 AM

...a few thoughts - are you sure all pieces were cut at the same size? I would not take many to throw that whole design off. Are you rotary cutting or scissor? Perhaps your rotary cutter was not snugged up against your ruler and those little "overs" add up......all pieces cut on straight of grain? Just some things that popped into my head this "windy" morning
Old 11-12-2015, 06:28 AM

First comes diagnosis...is it that your cuts are off, or is it that your seam allowance is off?

If you don't have one yet, I highly recommend a quilting foot with a guide. The foot itself has this little "blade" (not sharp, just a guide) that you can butt your fabric up against - that can really be helpful in getting good consistent seam allowances. You can buy these on Amazon for about 8-12 dollars, or less if you hunt around.

Test your seam allowance - cut yourself three blocks of fabric that are 2-1/2 inch square and sew them together (after making sure they're cut accurately). You should end up with a strip of fabric 6-1/2 inches long. Your center square should have exactly 2 inches of fabric showing on the face. If not, your seam allowances are off. You may need to adjust your needle a little bit, even with the quarter-inch guide foot.

If your cuts are off, it could be a few things. Hardware - are you using a rotary cutter and quilting rulers you can see through easily? Those aren't required but they definitely make the job easier. Make sure you have good lighting and all that jazz so you can really see what you are doing. Make sure your ruler isn't slipping - you can put a dab of silicone on the backs if you have some laying around, just a smudge of silicone in a few strategic places will help. Or there are a myriad of products sold for this issue - I'm fond of little silicone sticky rings.

Second comes forgiveness. My first few quilts were all OVER the place and seams lined up by accident more than anything else! This is a hobby that takes a bit of practice and you should not beat yourself up for not being an amazing quilter without having had that practice yet. We all make a few wonky quilts at the start. (Some of us never stop! LOL) Allow yourself to be a beginner.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board!
First off, two 6.25" x 12.25" strips will not result in a 12 inch finished block. Allowing for half inch seams, the strips need to be 12.5" (a quarter inch at EACH end) by 6.5" (again a quarter inch at each edge).
There are 3 main areas that can affect your accuracy: cutting, sewing and pressing. First cutting. Sounds like you are approaching your project carefully, but here are a couple tips,
Cutting: don't use the lines on your cutting mat for measurement, only to align the fabric. Use a single brand of rulers for your whole project. After you cut a couple pieces, measure them to make sure your rotary cutter isn't wavering.
Sewing: You really don't measure the seam, you measure the resultant patch. Here's how to check: http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ce-t89997.html
When you start sewing long rows together, you have to pin the intersections.
Pressing: make sure that you are not pressing a tiny crease into the seam, or that you are using so much pressure that you are distorting your fabric. If you are using steam, try a dry iron or vice versa.
And finally , it's best to square up the project as you go. This means that you sew two 6.5 X 12.5 inch blocks together, press, then use a ruler to make sure you have a block that measures 12.5 X 12.5. You don't want to wait until you sew the whole thing together to discover the issue.
First quilts are always an adventure! Cut yourself some slack. I personally would just quilt it as it is and call it a learning adventure. If you really want to fix it, and you really cut your strips at 12.25 X 6.25, the block will measure 12.25 X 12 if sewn perfectly. Take the top apart, measure all the blocks to see what is the smallest. Then just cut everything down to that smallest size square so you start with the same size blocks.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 11-12-2015 at 06:57 AM.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:49 AM

I don't know if this is one of your first attempts at this pattern or not but some patterns are difficult. I think that happens to all of us at one time or another. That pattern, though simple is a lot of corner matching. There's great advice here. Pieces the same size, seams the same size, pinned with thin glass head pins all come into play. Give yourself a break, carry on and look at it as a practice piece. It will turn out fine.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:54 AM

Another possible 'problem' may be your fabrics. Are they all of the same thickness? Even the slightest weight difference can make a difference in how much space is taken, when pressing the seams. For heavier fabrics, you may need to press the seam flatter, or even press that seam to the opposite side. If the problem then shifts to the other side, try pressing the seam open.

If your blocks seem to line up before you start stitching, it may be your presser foot tension is off. It may also help to use your walking foot, when sewing your seams. Yes, I know that's a bit unorthodox but it often helps.

If all else fails, get yourself some Elmer's School Glue and put a tiny drop of that, at each intersecting seam. Set the glue with your iron, then put a pin through it, to hold it in place. When you stitch the area, ease in any slight fullness.

Last edited by Neesie; 11-12-2015 at 06:58 AM.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:56 AM

I had similar issues with my first quilts (ahem, more than just my first ones), and it was usually due to not having an accurate quarter inch seam. Since I *thought* I was sewing with an accurate seam, it took me a long while to figure things out. Even if you are just a hair off, by the time you sew many blocks, those hairs will add up, believe me.

Don't get discouraged, you will only get better at this!
Old 11-12-2015, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

An accurate 1/4 seam is a must with piecing. As for your seams not meeting up, choose a quilt pattern where the seams are staggered like a brick wall for your first try.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:17 AM

Some great advice already given. I started quilting doing paper piecing. I found it easier to sew following a printed line and liked how my projects looked.

Remember to relax and enjoy this new hobby.