Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Christmas gifts - making anything festive? >

Christmas gifts - making anything festive?

Christmas gifts - making anything festive?

Old 10-27-2015, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by catjo View Post
I have 5 grandsons ranging in age of 7 to 12. I have given them all rag quilts, quilts, embroidered pillowcases. I've made ninja turtle ornaments for them this year, but completely lost on what else to make them. I'm not really good at clothes. So I have been scanning this post for ideas. This may be a year they only get the hand made item of ornaments from grandma. Just at a loss for them.
Maybe make them small wall hangings for their bedrooms in fabrics that show what they are interested in?
Old 10-27-2015, 02:48 PM

I'm making coaster sets with fabric boxes for gifts this year, I had intended to have these done over the last Virtual Quilting Weekend but after finishing the 5 aprons I was working on, I had a request for 4 more. I'm totally aproned-out now. lol I did two tester coasters and cut everything for the others, the fabric in front will be for the boxes to put them in. Since they're heading up to the frosty north I figure they'll remind folks that Spring indeed will be coming.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	coastersready.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	534330  
Old 10-27-2015, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Momellis View Post
I only wish! Had knee replacement Sept 2nd then fell 5 days later & broke my femur on the same leg. Now can't walk until after Christmas! My sewing room is upstairs & a million miles away.
So sorry to hear this. Hope you heal quickly. I had both knees replaced about 5 years ago.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:32 PM

I'm going to keep it simple this year. Ever year I work hard to make something for everyone, but no one seems to want handmade gifts. I found this on Pinterest.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]534357[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Christmas.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	534357  
Old 10-27-2015, 07:54 PM

Here is the saying
[ATTACH=CONFIG]534360[/ATTACH]
Old 10-28-2015, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by EmiliasNana View Post
Great idea Cari. I have only one pack 'n' play sheet.
Sewgranny1: WOW. Gorgeous quilts and lots of ideas. Want to adopt me : )

I am making a set of 25" Raggedy Ann and Andy for my one month old DGD. Her mom always loved them so she is getting them a little late : ) Also plan on making two name banners, approx. 5' x 18" for the two grandsons: 3 yrs. in Nov. and 3 yrs. in Feb. They will have a train theme with engine, three flat cars and a caboose. Each flat car will hold a letter of their name (ELI & ZAN) I made one for my DGD when she knew her letters but not how to spell her name. It is here:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...h-t191130.html It still hangs above her bed at almost seven years old.
Sew much to do................sew little time!
TY Emelias nana!! I love the quilts and name banner in your linked post--beautiful and inspiring!!
Old 10-29-2015, 10:30 PM

I wish I could see the poem for the little bag of money. I would love to give my sons a bag of money! hehehe!
Old 10-29-2015, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by maryellen2u View Post
I wish I could see the poem for the little bag of money. I would love to give my sons a bag of money! hehehe!
Search in pinterest for “money bag christmas gift“: there I found it! It's a nice idea!
Old 11-04-2015, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by catjo View Post
I have 5 grandsons ranging in age of 7 to 12. I have given them all rag quilts, quilts, embroidered pillowcases. I've made ninja turtle ornaments for them this year, but completely lost on what else to make them. I'm not really good at clothes. So I have been scanning this post for ideas. This may be a year they only get the hand made item of ornaments from grandma. Just at a loss for them.
Cathy, my two youngest grandsons are age 6 and 8. I recently visited them, and of course grandma has to take handmade things especially for them, right? So, I made two different pillowcases each for them...one cotton and one flannel out of favorite fabrics. For the 6 year old I made a "monster" type pillow/doll? Not sure what to call it, but I looked on pinterest for monster ideas and made a cute one. Then for my 8 yr old, I made a quilted checkerboard and found some fun chuncky tiles to use as checkers. They both LOVED what they got. Good luck!!
Old 11-22-2015, 09:09 PM

Did you design the letters, or was there a pattern? My Granddaughter's name is Emelia, and she would love something like this banner!