Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
I'm overwhelmed by my quilting stuff! >

I'm overwhelmed by my quilting stuff!

I'm overwhelmed by my quilting stuff!

Old 11-21-2015, 04:55 PM

You have received a lot of good advice already so I won't add anything, but I want to wish you good luck! You can get organized!!
Old 11-21-2015, 07:13 PM

I have been trying to downsize for about a year since we moved to a smaller house. When I have fabric I don't want, the fabric that is 1 yard plus and is not holiday goes to church for charity quilts and the smaller pieces and the holiday fabric go to a thrift store. I would not throw out fabric unless the scraps are way too small to be useful-- and even then there are folks looking for animal bedding who can use them.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:07 AM

I had 2 large bags of scraps which were always in my way then I dumped them out and cut, cut, cut until it was conquered. I've made 3 charity quilts and have pieces for several more. What was dreaded became enjoyable and the bags are GONE.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:17 AM

I found a new way to get rid of quilting "stuff" - start teaching friends how to quilt! I've somehow managed to collect up four ladies from work that want to learn quilting, so we meet together at my house a couple times a month and then they come over individually as they need help and we work on stuff. I've given away a bunch of fabric and duplicate "gizmos", and even gave away a sewing machine I didn't need. The "stuff" all comes back to visit with them, but leaves again when they go home. It's great!
Old 11-25-2015, 02:32 PM

You can do it. If you never plan to use the high loft, sale it!
Old 12-16-2015, 08:34 PM

I also am overwhelmed by my stuff I have been going thru it and have donated quite a bit of fabric I know I will never use. I know I have more still that will not be used by me. I am not getting any younger and I have more fabric than I will ever be able to use.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:08 PM

Use the high loft batting to stuff a quilt or a pet bed. I'm behind on quilting tops, and I have a long arm on a frame.

For many of them, I just have to be in the mood to quilt them. For a few of them, the mood hasn't hit me for 4 or 5 years!

Organize fabric one laundry basket full at a time. donate or sell fabrics that no longer appeal to you. Mark the length of fabric on the fabrics you decide to keep.

I recently set a rule for my personal fabric collection: if I haven't used a fabric in 5 years, it gets donated for charity quilts. It's hard to let go of some of them, but I have to 'thin the herd' because I know that I will never use all of it and I have no room for new fabrics!

Please note: I think the only reason I quilt is so I have an excuse to buy fabric!
Old 12-17-2015, 06:56 AM

As I go through my fabric storage, I pull out fabric that I wonder why I bought it and make pillowcases or totes to give away. Or if there are several pieces that coordinate, I strip them and do a jelly roll quilt for charity. I piece leftover batting for small projects that way I don't have little bits here and there.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:38 AM

One of my local shops takes scraps and fabrics. Someone picks these up and she makes beds for the shelters. Now, I feel better about letting go of pieces that I think I might use.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:19 PM

Our quilt guild recently had a members only garage sale before a meeting. Everyone brought stuff. Since we all have different tastes and uses for quilting stuff, lots of stuff got moved around. Don't forget to donate to thrift stores.