Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's the largest harp/throat space out there? >

What's the largest harp/throat space out there?

What's the largest harp/throat space out there?

Old 12-01-2015, 06:18 AM

Maybe long arming isn't Nilla's cup of tea - it's not for every quilter. There are folks doing stunning work on their domestic machines, starting with Diane Gaudynski.

I don't have one personally, but I have friends who swear by the Juki straight stitch machines, the Juki TL series. The harp isn't huge but it's tall. Janomes come highly recommended, too.

Good luck, and I hope you find what you are looking for.

Janet
Old 12-01-2015, 07:10 AM

Nilla, I understand your long arm feelings, I had a mid arm on a frame, it worked well, but I just could not stand loading the quilt for some strange reason, I just wanted to scream with every step of that & really got cranky to anyone around me.
So after letting it sit & take up space for 6 years, and quilting my old way, sitting down, doing FMQ, which I love and enjoy, I got rid of the frame, bought a Babylock sit down Tiara and love every minute I am using it.
Not every system is for everyone, you have to find your happy place.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
The largest harp on a 'regular' sewing machine currently on the market, I believe, is the Husqvarna Viking Designer Epic. It's 12.2" from needle to arm and 5.5" high...and retails for $15K.

Personally, I'd go into counseling in order to make a better connection with a longarm if I had one just sitting around here...but that's just me. Good luck with your dilemma.
I am the proud owner of the Husqvarna Epic & the throat area is 12.2" & I believe that is the largest on the market for DSM. The embroidery screen is almost as large as an iPad & it uses all the same hand movements that an iPad uses. Yes, it's very pricey so if you're not sure make sure you audition it a LOT. It's an amazing machine BUT having said that if you are not going to use all of its capabilities then don't. There are lots of amazing sit down mid arm machines on the market for less $$ & large throat openings. Good luck in your search.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:37 AM

Not sure if this was suggested, as I am jumping in on the last page.....
Is there a professional long-armer in your area that you can have come out and
look at your machine? Having a professional look at it first hand may
be able to tell you right away if the machine is the issue, or give you some pointers.
When I am frustrated and at my wits end, having someone else look at it really helps.
Just a thought...
Old 12-01-2015, 04:48 PM

If tension is really the issue i’ve got a great solution. Fill-tec makes a prewound bobbin called magna glide. Instead of a normal metal bobbin, its thread wrapped around a magnetic core. The magnetic core keeps the bobbin from rotating at different speeds as the thread runs out. Having variated tension is something that long armers can suffer from. Using good thread, sewing on good fabric, using good batting and changing your needle will help as well, but i cannot tell you how excited i was when these bobbins actually worked for me!
Old 12-02-2015, 07:06 AM

If your machine is three years old, it may be that the cause of your tension problems are now because a part needs replaced. The springs in industrial machines don't last forever, and the machines are made so these parts can be replaced as needed. Thus the machines run well forever with routine maintenance. I'd replace the springs one at a time and see if your problem gets solved. Springs like: check spring, cone spring, antibacklash spring in the bobbin case. If the felt pads in the tensioner are worn out, that will cause tension problems. Also, if you've dropped your bobbin case on a hard floor, it may be slightly out of round and need replaced. Sometimes the difference can't even be detected by eye. If you get lint under the antibacklash spring in the bobbin case or under the tension arm on the bobbin case, you'll have tension issues. (All I've told you here is the voice of experience.)
Old 12-02-2015, 07:22 AM

I have a Baby Lock Jane and it has a great amount of space, my g/f has the Juki and she likes it.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:31 AM

I bought a Juki 2010Q in August, specifically because I do my own quilting and was really needing more throat space. I love it so much! I mainly do walking foot quilting, and it's awesome at it. The harp space is over 9 inches wide by about 6.5 inches high. No more rolling, shoving and muttering! I just bunch up the quilt under there with plenty of room to spare. Fits my needs, and it was so much more reasonably priced than many of the alternatives (about $1000).
Old 12-02-2015, 08:21 AM
mem

"I bought a Juki 2010Q in August, specifically because I do my own quilting and was really needing more throat space... No more rolling, shoving and muttering! I just bunch up the quilt under there with plenty of room to spare."

This sounds like a great machine. What is the largest quilt you've done on it?
Old 12-02-2015, 08:27 AM

Here is my 2 cents worth!!! I'm not going to try and tell you what you feel or how you should feel, or that you don't like the quilting process, etc. So, here is my idea.
I suggest that you post a message on here and see if there is someone on this QB, who lives close enough to come help you learn to love your machine. Someone to teach you and guide you. Someone to make suggestions about thread, tension issues, loading the quilt, etc. Maybe someone who has had similar problems. It could be worth the time and you might even make a new friend in the process.
Try a few different threads and see if they can get you to at least tolerating your long arm. Then maybe you can practice and see if you two (you and the longarm) can get along. THEN, if you still don't like quilting on it, you can sell the thing, and find you something that fulfills your needs. You would then know you had given it every chance and it would be time to part ways.
Sorry for all your frustration!!!! Take a deep breath and Good Luck!