Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What size Sew Steady do you use? >

What size Sew Steady do you use?

What size Sew Steady do you use?

Old 12-02-2015, 04:18 AM

I purchased the larger one at MQX New Hampshire in April for my new Janome. The table was made so I could FMQ with the side of the machine facing me rather than quilting from the front so I can move the quilt easily to the left and right. I'm not sure it will become a natural feel but I have been practicing on table runners and baby quilts for now.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

What I like about my 401, I can butt another table up against it and have a lot of space. I use the 2662 for a lot of piecing and smaller items. Still considering a Sew steady though.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:18 AM

I was going to get a sew steady, but instead bought the "sew adjustable table". I got the 24 x 24 size. I love it. It was a bit pricey but I can use it on all my machines just by adjusting. Could not afford to get a different table for each machine. Plus they are made here in the US. The legs are metal, not plastic and of course all is adjustable. I am really pleased with this purchase. The site is "sewingmates.com" and I am not affiliated in any way with this company.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:45 AM

I don't think that is a "Sew Steady" table, but it might be just as good.

Originally Posted by mpspeedy2 View Post
I don't know if what I have is a Sew Steady or not. It is a clear piece of acrylic material with legs and cut to fit under the arm of my Bernina. While I don't machine quilt anything larger than a baby blanket it works great for piecing and binding bigger quilts. Another plus for me is that I can store additional feet, bobbins etc. etc. under the left end of the clear table and see just where everything is without having to remove the slide on clear table. It also allows me to change my bobbin without having to remove the clear slide on.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:28 AM

Nice work Clay. $40 is a great price for that size. I paid more than that for one I bought 4 or 5 years ago when most prices were lower. MPspeedy's comments are spot on. If you can get one that size for $40 I would suggest you do. They are worth the money.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:18 AM

I agree with catsden, unless you have just one machine the adjustable one is worth it's weight in gold, it will hug any machine you want to sew on.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by catsden View Post
I was going to get a sew steady, but instead bought the "sew adjustable table". I got the 24 x 24 size. I love it. It was a bit pricey but I can use it on all my machines just by adjusting. Could not afford to get a different table for each machine. Plus they are made here in the US. The legs are metal, not plastic and of course all is adjustable. I am really pleased with this purchase. The site is "sewingmates.com" and I am not affiliated in any way with this company.
I had one of those and really liked it.

Currently, my Janome 8900 came with a table and I am using that.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:54 PM

I called Vogue Fabrics this morning....the extension tables they have were purchased in a buy-out, so they only have a limited number. The sales associate I spoke with took my machine info and said she would check with their warehouse and call me back.....have not heard back from them yet. Price is right, but chances of them having one for my machine probably aren't very good...but it's worth a shot for that price!

Originally Posted by Clay View Post
This is a link about what size table you should consider. It's one person's opinion, but she makes a lot of sense and speaks from experience. As a new free motion quilter, I enjoyed all 4 of her YouTube videos. So watch the whole series if that interests you. This is the forth video in the series. She starts talking about the table in detail about the 8 minute, 10 second mark - if you just want to get to the point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DmW-1L9Ua0

Sometimes my memory isn't perfect, but this time, I remembered correctly. While I haven't done business with this place before, this is the best price that I found on a Sew Steady table: $40 for an 18 X 24" table.

http://www.voguefabricsstore.com/Sewing-Machine-Extension-Table-18-x-24.html

Old 12-03-2015, 12:33 PM

Received a call back-they do not have an extension table for my machine....back to the search.
The adjustable table looks great, but I would rather not spend that much.....I think that's the table I see on Bonnie Hunter's machines!
Old 12-03-2015, 01:20 PM

Personally I like the extension table from sewingmates.com. I can use it for any of my vintage machines. It's not like the sew steady that will only fit one machine. I have the 18x24 and I have plenty of room to work or machine quilt. I have no connection with sewingmates. Just a satisfied customer.