Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cyber Monday and embroidery machine for making quilt labels.... >

Cyber Monday and embroidery machine for making quilt labels....

Cyber Monday and embroidery machine for making quilt labels....

Old 11-29-2015, 12:23 PM
Banned

I HIGHLY recommend you get a machine with the largest
hoop size you can afford.

You won't be sorry if you do.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:14 PM
Banned

I have a couple thoughts that haven't been brought up. First, machine embroidery is an addicting, expensive hobby. Besides the machine itself, you have to invest in thread, stabilizers, designs, possibly software, etc.. It takes time and practice to learn which stablizers and methods work best for you so there is an extensive learning curve. No one product is right for everything. Like you, I thought I just wanted to embroider my quilt labels. 2 years and three machines later and I embroider almost everything I get my hands on, lol.
Second thought. if you're going to get a machine with only a 4" hoop, you'll have to buy some tiny fonts to make quilt labels, and depending on the editing capabilities of the machine, you may need to buy software(more$$) to design your labels. And tiny lettering needs thinner than usual thread to make the letters stitch out sharp and clear. More $$.

If you're set on getting an embroidery machine, I'd suggest getting the Brother PE770. It has a 5x7 hoop, it's a good user friendly machine, and it's popular enough that if you decide machine embroidery isn't your thing, you'll be able to sell it quickly.

You might want to see if someone in your area that does machine embroidery could make your labels for you. I've made quilt labels and clothing labels for friends.

Cari
Old 12-07-2015, 02:35 PM
Power Poster

I just noticed on Amazon that they dropped the price on the PE770 from $589 (which is what Walmart is still charging) to $489. So I took a deep breath and ordered it! I have no place to put it at the moment, but I will find some way to make do. I've been wanting to make embroidered labels for so long, decided to treat myself for Christmas.

Anyone familiar with pricedroppp.com? Before taking the plunge I decided to Google prices on this machine and came up with this info (scroll down for price history info):
http://pricedroppp.com/brother-pe770...FQH3Hwod9E4H7g
Have not figured out how to search for items on their site, though. Found this page by Googling the machine. For big ticket items that do not require immediate purchase, it would be handy to be able to find a price history like this!!!
Old 12-07-2015, 04:30 PM

Prism99, that is a GREAT price! I've been keeping an eye on this machine on Overstock.com. They have the PE770II for the same price but it connects to the computer instead of using USB. Way to go, you're going to have fun!