Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gifts or Commissions-Blurred Lines >

Gifts or Commissions-Blurred Lines

Gifts or Commissions-Blurred Lines

Old 12-16-2015, 05:11 AM

I don't quilt for money... I don't know how to set prices and I don't want my pleasurable hobby become a job... I worked a long time to be retired and I don't want to work anymore.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Pennyhal View Post
For some reason, it really offends me when I make something for someone and they give it away. It took me a long time to get over that. It was upsetting me too much.
I feel that pain, too! So I quit making for one friend who sends everything I make home with her grandchildren because they "like it." GRRR...so no more handmade gifts go there.

As to people asking me to quilt for them, I'm just trying to make the qults I want to make for people that will appreciate them.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:13 AM

I agree with you Sewbeadit. Asking someone to make them a quilt just seems rude to me. I also don't think people stop to think about or inquire about materials cost, skill and time.
When I first got into quilting after about 20 years of no sewing, I was floored at the price if fabric.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:29 AM

I don't quilt, sew or embroider for anyone unless I've decided to give them a gift. I don't want a job, I want a hobby and I don't want deadlines. I want to enjoy my hobbies, my time, my husband and family. No is a small word
but hard to say, practice saying it and it will come easy.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:30 AM

I do not apologize when I tell a friend or acquaintance that I do not quilt for money, it is MY hobby and passtime, and I just can't put those types of restrictions on my creativity. I can direct you to a guild with members that would gladly do this service, or I can direct you to the LQS, but I will not quilt for charge. Thank you for the offer.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:41 AM

I learned a looooong time ago to say no. Started at church where everyone wants something done but think it's your job to do it. Never had a problem saying no to making a quilt or repairing clothing. That's a privilege reserved for son/daughter or grandkids. They don't abuse the privilege either.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

I'm sorry for your uncomfortable experiences. Anyone who does not quilt, does not have any idea of what it actually costs to make a quilt. A friend of mine had a very bad experience with a mutual friend. She had asked her to make a quilt for her granddaughter and specified penguin fabric. It took time to locate the fabric, and it was more than she expected to pay, however, she made the quilt and when she gave it to our mutual friend, she thought it had taken too much time and said she didn't expect to pay that much. My friend told her to give her what she thought was reasonable, which unfortunately only covered half the cost of materials. It's hard when making things for friends and family, as many expect it as a gift. Right now I have been "commissioned" to make a queen size quilt for a friend and she would like me to use the colors in the painting Starry, Starry Night, by Van Gogh (I think-Sr. moment); but we worked out a barter system. She was moving and her daughter was leaving some of her Barbie Dolls plus an American Girl doll with some furniture, wardrobe, cradle, which I believe were hand made, the doll, a beautiful brass bed with beautiful bedding, the doll and accessories. Her daughter took very good care of her things, so I think I may have gotten the better deal. Our DGD Zoe is 5 and I can't wait to see her face when we give her the doll and some of the accessories - oh, plus she also had a wrought iron old fashioned school desk. In this case, my friend, who also sews, had a good idea of what was involved and was even going to pay me more; however, I think we got a mutual good deal. Now I just have to figure out what to make, but I know my DGD will be excited at Christmas, plus I feel as if we are giving her items we could never have afforded if we had paid full price.

I'm afraid I went round about in an answer, but if someone asks you to make a quilt, I would tell them the approximate cost of all the materials, plus some payment of your time and get a down payment for the cost of fabric. If they don't like the price, you won't have to make them a quilt and stand firm.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:42 PM

I have an idea, carry around a photo of your stash, and tell the person requesting the freebie, that all your fabric in the photo is already dedicated to various projects, and if your stash is like mine, I will never live long enough to use but one half of my fabric I have in my quilting/sewing room
Old 12-17-2015, 01:54 AM

I used to have someone ask me to make them a queen size quilt and make myself $200 profit. I said I could type a 4 hour shift of overtime typing for that and not have all my spare time taken up. The best thing I did was explain to my mother the cost of the QS quilt my sister asked for. I told my sister the quilt would be for 7 years of birthdays and Christmases and I didn't make it till at least half way through that time despite grumbling. My usual gift for each of those events from my sister is 4 FQ so I think my sister got the better end of the deal. My mother now tells people the quilt on her bed (a gift) would cost at least $1000 for me to make.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:43 AM

I don't do sewing or quilting as a job. First of all, it's something I do because I want to. Secondly, it is not done on any sort of schedule, so timing would become an issue.

Even for gift giving I prefer to have the recipient look at what I have on hand and pick one. I have lots of tops waiting to be quilted. Then I will go ahead and quilt it.