Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
What do I do with a leg of lamb? >

What do I do with a leg of lamb?

What do I do with a leg of lamb?

Old 12-18-2015, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
Leg of lamb is delicious, especially medium rare. Cut slits in it, stuff with slivers of garlic and a few with rosemary. Add olive oil tossed potato wedges and pop into the oven at 350 for about an hour or until meat thermometer registers 145-150. Serve with mint jelly, if you wish. Be sure to deglaze your pan with chicken stock to make gravy. Love to serve with asparagus spears topped with melted butter, bread crumbs, a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of Romano cheese. Got leftovers? Saute with some orzo. Yum!
I just have to ask for clarity- an 8.5 lbs lamb leg will cook at 350 degrees, in only one hour? How long does it take to thaw if solidly frozen?
Old 12-18-2015, 02:02 PM

There are some good recipes for lamb on northernlightslamb.com.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:46 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
Lol! Jan you crack me up! Thank you for all of your wonderful information and recipes.
My dear friend from the next town over lost her DH on Friday. They were the only family either of them had. Today she called me in tears. She was crying so hard I had to wait for her to finish "venting" before I could understand what she needed. She needed me to know how terrified she is of having Christmas alone, and asked if she might be welcome here. Really? She thought I might say no? Once she calmed down I told her we would welcome her here Christmas Eve, and she will spend the night to be here to open gifts. When I told her we were having a "Leg of Lamb" she said "wonderful, can I help you make it? I have a great recipe!". Well I guess if I had waited one more day, I would not have had to ask. Lol!
Our family dinner will be on Tuesday to accommodate work schedules, and as usual I am making Christmas dinner for my "orphan on Christmas" friends. Thanks again. I learned a lot from you all.
WELL.
Can I come there, then?

Jan in VA
Old 12-19-2015, 03:22 AM

I'd give the frozen leg at least three days in the fridge to thaw, like you would a turkey. I haven't cooked leg of lamb in years because of the price, but growing up my brother and I always chose it as our special birthday dinner entrée. It's definitely best roasted to rare/medium rare; more done can be dry and tough. If making gravy be sure to skim off fat, as lamb fat tastes bad to most people, and may account for why so many people dislike lamb. Enjoy your treat, and happy Christmas!