Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 12-20-2015, 02:07 PM

with the companion angle, the lower edge is about 5" Which the skinny tip of the Easy Angle fits into .
I don't have enough different reds to make new bricks, or enough black variety to make new side wings
So what I'm doing is akin to the "alternate: method with a square with a line drawn crosswise. Except I don't have a square so I am laying the triangle on the brick and making it work, by gosh and by golly. I think I have about
7 black and neutral sets sewn now. As each comes out from under the needle I check to see if the triangle will fold up properly to cover the corner. I've had to unstitch about 6 of them and narrow down the seam again.

And it is so effortless when both rulers are used Falala, it's all needle and thread and it pleases my heart, whatever I'm sewing

Rob's pancake this morning was Snoopy dancing. Haven't a clue where he got the idea from, the total happy quilter icon.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:17 PM

Boy this clue is taking a long time for me! I kinda wish she had given us some of this with clue #3 to even out the workload a little. I have it all cut now, and finished 13 of the 30 sets so far. Good thing I am not a perfectionist! Some are a little wonky, even after trimming (some of the triangle tips seem to "draw up" leaving the block a tad short), and some of my geese necks don't match up exactly when the neutral one is sewn to the red one. Hope I can ease these imperfections along when we start assembling pieces together.
I do have one tip that is helping me: I got out my washable glue stick (that I have never used before) and gently press the very tip of the black triangle on the glue stick before putting it on one of the trapezoid geese. This seems to help keep those narrow points aligned when sewing them together. Good luck everyone.
alvastitcher, sounds like you are doing well and ahead of me. I also need to get a baby quilt done before my daughters shower on January 16th and haven't even started it yet!
Old 12-20-2015, 02:40 PM

I am working on a wedding quilt .................. the wedding was last Sunday! Seems like I'm winning the procrastination prize! lol
Old 12-20-2015, 03:33 PM

I've got everything cut and 10 sets sewed. Sampling attached. I try to get them perfect, but I know there are no quilt police south of Boston!! Need to take a break, fold some laundry, wash some dishes, etc. May get back at it a little later depending on how I feel.

I am using one fabric as my neutral, and I wonder how it will work given the one-way design. I hope I'm making the right decision keeping them facing the same way in each clue. We will see.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151220_180906.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	538472  

Last edited by PeriWink; 12-20-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:35 PM

Yup, Kassaundra I think you're the winner thus far. Congrats! LOL
Everyone is doing such a great job on their blocks. I love to see the fabrics you have chosen. They will be so similar yet so different.
yes, PeriWink I see 2 pictures. Love your colors.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:49 PM

Thank you, Alva. I figured out how to delete. Yay!
Old 12-20-2015, 04:03 PM

Ugh! I may have hit the Mystery Quilt wall. Very glad I am only doing 1/2 the clues. I have so much admiration for those doing the full count of parts for each clue.

I finally had some time to get all my pieces cut (for 16 sets). Hope to have time Monday and Tuesday night to get them sewn since I won't have time from Wednesday on.

I used the angle rulers again for this step but I put a piece of painter's tape near the line on the companion angler where the fabric lines up since last time I cut a few of them wrong. I also took the time to blunt both ends of the triangles and the geese points - made it much easier to sew for me.

I did get 430 cookies baked, -- totally over estimated how many I get from a batch so I made too many! Hubby is ok with that though!

It is so exciting seeing the parts starting to come together but now I think, after seeing all the Headless Geese sewn to each other, the new units remind me of Luke Skywalker's X-Wing Fighter.... (NO SPOILERS Please -- not seeing Force Awakens until Saturday... after a quick trip to my not-so-local-but-favorite-quilt-shop The Door Mouse).

Jeanne - your X-Wing fighters look great! -- Good idea too with the glue stick.
PeriWink - really like your neutral & I'm sure once they're in the quilt the direction will work out.
Kristakz - love your purple & white & teal (?) - good layout... even if it's not the one Bonnie uses might make a good pattern!

I agree Kalama - pancakes make everything seem ok - and I happen to have buttermilk left over from the sugar cookies...hmmm... Christmas morning pancakes are sounding pretty good.

My progress so far... and one goose with clipped wings...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]538478[/ATTACH]

Name:	post.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	538478  
Old 12-20-2015, 04:51 PM

PeriWink, I don't think your neutral is obviously directional at a glance; I'm sure it will look fine, whatever the orientation of the blocks.

Jeanne S, I have never used my glue stick either, lol. Thanks for the tip; those tips are hard to keep in place.

It's so nice to read about everyone's progress. I have all my reds cut, neutrals picked out for each red, and just another hour or so should see all my cutting done.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:58 PM

I finally got all the individual hg's sewn, now I have to press and trim then sew them into sets.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:44 PM

still working on clue no. 2 but I'll get there sooner or later... [ATTACH=CONFIG]538490[/ATTACH]

Name:	DSC_0233.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	538490