Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt and scrapbook >

Quilt and scrapbook

Quilt and scrapbook

Old 12-20-2015, 08:25 PM

Default Quilt and scrapbook

Hi everyone,

I've made a quilt for my son and future DIL with fabric donated from every family member and friend I could reach. I want to create a scrapbook with bits of fabric so the kids can see who donated what, that way when they snuggle under the quilt they can feel all the love that went into it.

Here's my dilemma. I want to fabric to stayed glued to the pages I create. What do you recommend to use for the glue?

Thanks, Pat
Old 12-20-2015, 08:56 PM
Power Poster

pop dots, double faced heavy duty tape, red line tape, that red stuff or even staple it to the pages. they make lots of nice staples for scrapbooking or brads.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:05 PM
Power Poster

I agree with lynnie, decorative brads or staples. Glue might fall off over time or go that weird yellow colour.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:09 AM

I like the brad idea! Another idea would be to scan/print your fabric swatches. Although as I type this there may be color distortion when you do this. So.....I'd probably use the brads. Don't glue. It may gum up the fabric and dry out.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

Put an old needle in your machine and stitch them on?
Old 12-21-2015, 05:47 AM

Brads would be nice. So would machine sewing the fabric to cardstock. Also you could hand stitch it to the page using big stitches and embroidery floss for decorative color (prepunching holes with a pin makes this easier). Or sew narrow ribbon to the top/bottom or sides of your fabric swatches and run the ribbons through grommets on the page. You could even make it look like clothes on a clothesline.

Last edited by Jeanne S; 12-21-2015 at 05:49 AM.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:52 PM

Did you think of using the acid free pages, they come in all sizes. If you use the ones that are for postcards, you could put the fabric in one, the names in the other, and perhaps a picture of the donors. Just a thought. Later it would be a lot of fun to go thru. Wonderful idea you got. Maybe I will try this on my granddaughter some day.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by heronfan View Post
Hi everyone,

I've made a quilt for my son and future DIL with fabric donated from every family member and friend I could reach. I want to create a scrapbook with bits of fabric so the kids can see who donated what, that way when they snuggle under the quilt they can feel all the love that went into it.

Here's my dilemma. I want to fabric to stayed glued to the pages I create. What do you recommend to use for the glue?

Thanks, Pat
I use Misty Fuse.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:23 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

It might be good idea to use something in the way of pages that allows the fabric to be kept without glue or stapling. Having extra pieces of fabric from which the quilt was made might be quite useful if ever a repair needed to be made.

Jan in VA
Old 12-23-2015, 05:24 AM

Longtime scrapbooker and quilter here. At Joanns or Micheals, look for a product called 'glue dots'. Use those to attach your fabric to the page. They are strong, they will hold, and they will not yellow over time. I know this because I keep a scrapbook of quilts and other projects I've done and this is what I use to hold my fabric in place. Often I use decorative scissors to cut the fabric into squares, then spread them out over the page. I would not use metal to hold the fabric in place.

If you want to go the short cut route, look for products by Project Life. They do pocket page style scrapbooking. Here's a link to a pocket style page: http://www.scrapbook.com/store/ac-97...ect+life+8+x+8 Project Life also makes filler cards for those pages, so if you want some color without buying paper (I'm guessing you are not a scrapbooker?), this would be super easy. One slot could hold your fabric (attached to a card) the other could hold a journalling card explaining who the fabric is from.

Give a holler if you need help. I could post pics of my quilting album to show you what I do.